PLEASE HELP! My duckling; Gypsy. What breed am I? How old am I?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by run_trip_fall, Sep 18, 2010.

1. run_trip_fall

run_trip_fall Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Texas
    I found a duckling wandering my neighborhood yesterday with no duck pond for at least a mile. It was alone and I would like to take care of it and give it a forever home, it has already begun to bond to me and I to it. I have been looking at website after website all day. Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/ticklemepink69/duck.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] I have never seen a duck like that LOL

3. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    look at those legs! I have no idea but it's adorable.

4. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Wow! That duck looks like a stork! I have no idea what it is, but sure is cute! Sorry to be so unhelpful...still looks very downy and babyish...I'm comparing to my 10 day old mallards....? Is that some feathering on the wings? I'm just new to ducks so...guessing big time [​IMG]

5. run_trip_fall

Sep 18, 2010
    Texas
    thats the thing, ive searched everywhere and cant find anyone like him, i was thinking a mallard cross breed but I truly have no idea, he is currently in my lap grooming himself and is just adorable!

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm not entirely sure that's a duck. I would say gosling except the shape of the bill is duck-like.

Edited to add: Try Googling photos of Black-Bellied Whistling ducklings. They seem to look similar to your guy, especially when young. This one may be a couple of weeks old.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Those are not domestic duck legs, so I think it is a wild duck. Looks like goose legs, but the body is the one of a duck. Looking at the picture I would guess 2 weeks old. Hard to tell. It would help, if you can clarify where you are, general region is fine. I've looked into my book for wild birds and found some ducks that may be close to it. No baby pics but the face markings may be an indicator. The region will help to narrow it down. There are some wild duck breeders on this board, I bet they do know. My guess is perhaps a teal? Again, I'm not a pro at this.

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    [​IMG] That thing is CRAZY looking...hope someone will help you though and also [​IMG]

9. run_trip_fall

Sep 18, 2010
    Texas
    I live in houston, tx. Gypsy is completely content in my lap grooming his/her self and seems almost tame. my family used to breed love birds and so i know a little about feathering, Gypsy's body i covered in down and has stubby wing feathers, we're beyong the pin feather phase on the wings all in all gypsy is a very tall very fluffy duckling/gosling.

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    If you live in Texas, then it's most likely a Black-bellied whistling duckling. They live and breed there. They also have those long legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by