Please Help, my duckling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tigg1369, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Tigg1369

Tigg1369 New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    North Fort Myers, FL
    [​IMG]

is 3 days old. He hasn't walked yet, and keeps his head tucked close to his chest. His legs are no longer held close to his body, but straight out. He is drinking and eating only with my assistance. I have been giving him water with "Rooster Booster" . Any suggestions, advice and knowledge would be so appreciated.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to hear that your duckling is having trouble. Did he have any difficulty hatching and/or did you notice anything unusual at hatch? Did his navel close up normally when he hatched? Is he pooping?

Giving him the vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics was a good idea, but it doesn't sound like he's responding. Have you been administering it for the whole 3 days?

Tagging some fellow duck people for their advice: @Miss Lydia ; @Amiga - (TIA!)

3. Tigg1369

Tigg1369 New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    North Fort Myers, FL
    He started hatching day 28, finally hatched day 30. I started the vitamin water about 10 hours after he hatched.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would mix B complex vitamins into water , using the niacin to guide how much water to add. I would go with 150 mg per gallon if water.

Casportpony is very experienced with tubing - you may need her help. My phone will not tag anyone so please please someone tag casportpony.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm on it...@casportpony , looking for some guidance re tube feeding. Thanks!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! So sorry to see your duckling doing so poorly. Is there any chance you can get it to a vet? -Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Tube feeding is contraindicated in birds that are non responsive, or birds that can't hold their heads up, and this little duckling is both, so IMO, the best thing to do is take it to a vet.

If you cannot take it to a vet, be sure to keep it warm enough, like in an incubator at about 90 degrees.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by