Please help! My Ducks are bleeding on their wings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by btusing, Nov 14, 2016.

1. btusing

btusing Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    So within the last week about 4 out of my 11 ducks are bleeding on their wings towards the bone of the wing. I will post a picture that is just one from the internet that looks similar to my ducks because they would not hold still for a picture.

The ducks are Pekins. I have put cornstarch on the wings and a few of the ducks have cleared up. This morning I put cornstarch on another one but it is still bleeding tonight! Also a new one started bleeding. What do I do?? I was told to pluck the feathers, but what could be causing this so suddenly? No one in the pen has been acting aggressive and I only have one male to the 10 females.

ONCE AGAIN THAT IS NOT MY PICTURE!

Thanks for all the help!!! [​IMG]

2. btusing

May 26, 2015
    Also the blood on the first bleeding this weekend turned black. Is that okay?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @btusing sounds like someone is pulling out blood feathers might be more than one doing it. Females do this kind of stuff too. You can get a product called blood stop that will help stop the bleeding and there is another product called Blue Kote that you can put on the wings it will turn the feathers purple but is the best stuff in the world for disguising a wound. and helps to heal too. Turning blk sounds like clotting and dried. You could try separating them into groups till you find who the culprits are. Sometimes it's boredom sometimes it just plain meanness growing up and hormones beginning. How old are they and where do you keep them. Are they kept in a pen or allowed to free range? or both?

4. btusing

May 26, 2015
    thank you for responding! they are about 8/9 months old. they are kept in a pen that is 16x16ish and then include a 8x8 coop which they always have access too.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You might be able to give them some things to take their minds off of picking on each other. I hang romaine lettuce out for my flock especially in fall and winter when there isn't anything to forage. Cabbage is another thing that they like to pull pieces off, things like this can help break boredom. Do you keep food and water out for them during the day?

6. btusing

May 26, 2015
    Yes they have food and water all day. I might try the cabbage idea! they do seem bored and with winter coming their pond is going to freeze soon.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I think it could be a protein issue possibly.....Feathers are protein....Could be brittle?
    Try dry cat food....The fish based kind........

Cheers!

8. btusing

May 26, 2015
    Yes that actually makes sense because they are not fighting and at least four of them are going through this!! The cat food isn't going to hurt them? I know people say some stuff can kill ducks

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No......Cat food is okay for Ducks.....Dry kibble fish based...I feed mine cat food too once a week or so....They love it and their feathers are shiny...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by