Please Help! My favorite chicken has been mauled by a dog!

barredrockmama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Humboldt County, CA
Hi everyone.

I've been reading everyone's advice on how to treat puncture wounds from dog attacks. Thanks for all the great info.

I wonder, though, about my poor Pretty Girl's leg. She was mauled by a dog yesterday and she has puncture wounds on her back and left side of her body and just behind her thigh. Her left leg is also injured. It doesn't appear to be broken anywhere--but it may be dislocated. My concern is that the foot/leg has been cold to the touch. Is this normal in cases like this? I can't seem to find any info on the internet about this. I fear she will lose the leg if it gets no blood circulation...

Thanks for your time.

She has no interest in walking, but can hobble around on the other leg. She is eating and drinking very little, and seems alert. When she lays down, her leg wants to stick out sideways and her foot stays all curled up. She doesn't protest when I examine her wounds or her leg.

I would clean her wounds & pack them with triple antibiotic. Her leg could be dislocated but it could also just be stressed from the wound on her thigh. Keep her comfortable and warm tonight & see how she's doing in the morning. Make sure she has water & food that she can get to overnight.

clap.gif
I am so glad! I hope things keep going well for her.

I would certainly offer some nutritional boost, like vitamins, cooked egg, and a bit of yogurt. I would probably also give penicillin. I'm not big on antibiotics, but since there are puncture wounds, I believe I would in this case.

In cases like this the electrolyte balance is disturbed (SHOCK) and you really need to give electrolytes in water for a few days.
be sure to flush out those puncture wounds with sterile saline (you can make this yourself by boiling 1/2 tsp of salt in a half gallon of water -roiling boil- for five minutes) > this is to remove any left over debris etc. Folow with chlorhexidine and then let airdry and then apply the antibiotic cream.
INFO on avian wound management:
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=practical&action=display&num=1158141893

Back
Top Bottom