Please help, my girls are so sick!!

NewChickyMommy

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
West Virginia
They are making a gurgling/rattling type sound. No nasal discharge, no eye discharge, no swelling. Currently I am unable to get to a store so I'm very limited on ehat I can treat with them, I'm hoping tomorrow I can get there. Just trying to get an idea on what's going on so I can get the right stuff tomorrow...

Well, if you can manage to get antibiotics into them, that would be the best thing, but also try putting vinegar in their water, take away any healthy ones, so that they don't get sick, make sure they eat and drink properly, if they do develop nasal discharge, wipe it off and make sure that they can breathe. Also, check out these sites- http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/04/natural-remedies-for-respiratory-issues.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/838071/chicken-gurgling
The last thing is that if you can, write back and answer these questions-
How long has this been happening?
Have there been any recent diet changes in your flock?
Have you introduced new members to your flock lately?
Are they acting lethargic, depressed, or different than normal in any way?

Good luck!
-Ameraucanas

Well, if you can manage to get antibiotics into them, that would be the best thing, but also try putting vinegar in their water, take away any healthy ones, so that they don't get sick, make sure they eat and drink properly, if they do develop nasal discharge, wipe it off and make sure that they can breathe. Also, check out these sites- http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/04/natural-remedies-for-respiratory-issues.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/838071/chicken-gurgling
The last thing is that if you can, write back and answer these questions-
How long has this been happening?
Have there been any recent diet changes in your flock?
Have you introduced new members to your flock lately?
Are they acting lethargic, depressed, or different than normal in any way?

Good luck!
-Ameraucanas

I'm hoping I can make it tomorrow, I'm in wv so we're getting hit with that storm :/ I thought I had apple cider vinegar but I can't find it... Is white vinegar ok??

I will read those, thank you!

The buff lace polish has been acting weird for a while but the noise just started, the black polish started yesterday, and the bantam Cochin started yesterday too but is in worse shape than the polish.
No diet change, I got new birds but they weren't exposed to them,
Very very lethargic. The bantam was laying on her side with her eyes closed when I found her. All three are inside in a dog crate now, they won't eat or drink on their own so every two hours I'm taking them out and doing the best I can to get yogurt and water into thwm

Skip the vinegar if all you have is the white distilled type and get them some antibiotics. They have gotten some kind of respiratory disease, many of which progress very quickly to pneumonia. See if you can get some Tylan 50 or Tylan 200. Dose only birds showing symptoms, though it's likely they will all come down with whatever this is in turn. Be sure to keep the sick ones warm.

Dose for Tylan 50 is 1 ml for a 5 lb bird, twice a day for 5 days. Tylan 200 is 1/4 ml, same directions otherwise.

You can try making a mash or gruel for them of their regular feed, or try some mashed hard boiled egg.

Skip the vinegar if all you have is the white distilled type and get them some antibiotics.  They have gotten some kind of respiratory disease, many of which progress very quickly to pneumonia.  See if you can get some Tylan 50 or Tylan 200.  Dose only birds showing symptoms, though it's likely they will all come down with whatever this is in turn.  Be sure to keep the sick ones warm.

Dose for Tylan 50 is 1 ml for a 5 lb bird, twice a day for 5 days.  Tylan 200 is 1/4 ml, same directions otherwise. 

You can try making a mash or gruel for them of their regular feed, or try some mashed hard boiled egg.     

Thank you!!! I'm praying our local feed store has it... I got the truck started at like 7, after they're closed, hoping I'll make it tomorrow

If you can't get antibiotics, then get apple cider vinegar for them at the grocery store, and order some antibiotics online.

If you can't get antibiotics, then get apple cider vinegar for them at the grocery store, and order some antibiotics online.

I got them demacylin, it's all my feed store has, we're supposed to get a storm so anything I order online won't get here for a while. My bantam is much better but my polish has now starting gasping..... And spitting stuff out her nose or mouth, I can't see anything in her throat. Ugh

Back
Top Bottom