PLEASE HELP!!! My GS has died, and roo is VERY weak!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlittle32, May 15, 2009.

1. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I don't know what is going on. My pair of golden sebrights were ok last night. I go to feed them all this morning and and the pullet is dead. My roo is weak, barely moving around. He's eating...I don't see him drinking much. Nothing draining anywhere. Please help!!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My first thought was poisoning.

3. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    They are with the rest of my flock and no one else is showing any signs of anything.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Are they in a separate pen from everyone else? Does the roo wheeze or make any gurgling noises? Get that roo AWAY from all your birds immediately!

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

WOW, my first thought is GS = Grandson! then you mentioned the golden seabright in the paragraph. WOW i am so glad it is not your grandson!

Questions: has it been raining, did they get wet, what are they eating, drinking. Where are they housed? Give us some more details please and we can see what we can do.

6. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    They are mixed with the rest of my flock. No wheezing or gurgling...it rained a few mins yesterday..barely enuf to wet the ground. Eating grower/starter...nothing new...
    I have separated him from the rest this a.m.

7. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I'm thinking poisoning also. Maybe he found a treat and gave her a bite. Are they free range? If not, you should start to worry. There are several serious diseases that can cause sudden death.

8. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    They are not free range. I noticed a fly trap was on the ground this mornin (the sticky kind) paid no mind to it and picked it up....

9. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    OH no. They could have eaten some of that glue from the fly trap. Did you toss out the hen already? Can you cut her open and look in the crop? You should do that if possible. I know it's icky, but do it.

10. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

OH NO on the sticky trap, they could have eaten a fly from there and glued their crop shut!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by