Please Help! My Hen has a black face, swollen eye and scabby belly. Feathers falling out also.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rissatt, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Rissatt

Rissatt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Hi all, I hope you can help me!

Polly, my 1 year old New Hampshire has recently had mites. She went broody and while she was sitting on eggs, I was working 14 hour days for a little bit and didn't get to clean out the laying box for about 2 and a half weeks (I usually do it once or twice a week). By the time I cleaned out her nesting area, there was a fair few in and around the eggs she was sitting on.

I went to the local produce and they gave me a powder to coat the cooks with, as well as the bedding, etc. When I caught Polly (we got her at POL and she's not a fan of being picked up!) I saw that her belly feathers were all gone, but otherwise she looked in good health. I treated all my chickens, and no others appeared to have mites, but Punky my Araucana had one swollen eye. I suspected perhaps it was an irritation from mites that I just couldn't see, or else the other chooks had been picking on her and it was an injury.

That was about 8 days ago. Now, I have just noticed that Polly's face looked a bit funny. I was able to pick her up fairly easily which never happens, so she must be a little lethargic. On close inspection I saw that much of her face has gone black and one eye is swollen nearly closed! Her underbelly, where it was smooth and featherless last week is now very angry-looking with sore red scabs. She has been losing HEAPS of feathers, they are all over my back deck. I treated her with the mite powder/ dust stuff just in case there were still some on her.

After seeing this, I thought I'd better check my other chickens, and quite a few of them seem to have small black spots on their faces. I need to check Punky as this may have started with her, but she is very illusive and I can only get a hold of her at dusk when she goes to bed and I haven't been around at that time to nab her.

All the chickens are still very lively, and all combs are still red. Polly has slowed down a little but is still eating ok. I fed her separately yesterday so I could make sure. She has also become very submissive to the other chickens where she used to be quite aggressive. When my Rhode Island Red looks at her, she backs up with her tail down.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong and how to treat it?

2. Rissatt

Jul 22, 2013
    Update: Her eye is now oozing a white foam, and I realised that she has lost a LOT of weight. I've seen her eating, but obviously not enough.

I gave her a bit of a bath in some warm water with Celtic salt in it, and bathed her eye pretty well and pat dry all her scabby bits. I'll check her out tomorrow, I really hope this helps. Anyone's advise would be much appreciated!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like there may be a couple of things going on. First swelling round the face and eye may be a respiratory disease such as mycoplama or coryza. Black spots could indicate fowl pox a virus disease that is not serious unless it is wet fowl pox. A picture would be helpful. Respiratory diseases in chickens have symptoms like the facial swelling form sinuses being infected, nasal drainage or crusting, rattly breathing, eye bubbles or drainage, and sometimes sneezing. They are contagious and many will come back over and over even after treatment. Antibiotics such as Tylan, Denagard, and Duramycin (tetracycline) are useful. For fowl pox there is no treatment.

4. Rissatt

Jul 22, 2013
    Oh no :(
    I haven't noticed trouble breathing but will watch her carefully today. Her is a photo I took after I bathed her face yesterday.
    [​IMG]

5. Rissatt

Jul 22, 2013
    Will the fowl pox just run its course and clear itself up eventually?

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes it will.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    That looks like fowl pox or Favus to me. You could try some of what Eggsessive has posted above. Best of luck!

9. Rissatt

Jul 22, 2013
    Thanks everyone for your input! The local produce is out of antibiotics but found a vet that does free poulty consults, so I am taking her there now. Will let you know how she goes.

10. Rissatt

Jul 22, 2013
    The vet thinks just very bad fowl pox and a lesion on her face has become infected. One of the other birds has very obvious fowl pox also (but not so bad), so I have segregated those 2 birds and have (very expensive) anti-biotics for Polly. Can't eat her eggs for 60!!! days, but it's all good if she gets better :)

Any tips for weight gain once she's on the mend? I forgot to ask the vet today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by