please help, my hen is just sitting there!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gemma24, Mar 14, 2017.

1. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    I let all my hens into yard, and one of them is just sitting there. she has kind of a lot of poo on her butt...is there anything I can do? she is 4 years old and I'm kinda worried.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would bring her inside to a basket or crate where it is warmer. Give her some water with electrolytes if you have some, and offer her some chopped scrambled egg. She may be sick or hurt, or dehydrated. Pull off any dried poo, and if needed you can trim excess feathers around her vent. A warm shallow bath when she is feeling better may help to clean her up. Feel of her crop to check if it is empty, full, firm or soft, or like a balloon. Look her over for lice and mites especially under her vent area. Feel of her breast bone to check for weight loss, since feathers can hide that. Look for any fullness in her lower belly. Has she recently been laying eggs? You can feel inside her vent an inch or 2 for a stuck egg, but you should feel nothing if she is not egg bound. Older hens can suffer from reproductive disorders such as internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Crop problems or worms can also be a problem.

3. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    thanks, all I did was give her electrolytes and she seemed to perk up, I also brought her inside...now she is back pecking around in the coop.

4. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep a very close eye on her. Chickens hide their ailments very well. You might want to feel her all over and make sure she still has good muscle, and doesn't have a squishy belly. Is she drooping her tail or walking like a penguin at all? Is she laying normally? Unbeknownst to me, my girl was wasting away beneath her feathers. She started having symptoms Friday night and was on the brink of death by Monday morning when I brought her to an avian vet. She has egg yolk peritonitis, which first presented like egg binding. We are still trying to save her by nursing her back to health and administering meds prescribed by the avian vet. I hope your girl continues to feel good!

5. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    thanks, I will go feel her all over. sorry about your hen.

6. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

How's your hen? Is she still feeling goid? My girl is still improving.[​IMG]

7. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    my hen is doing great! glad your hen is felling better![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by