Please help my hen!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken farmer, Feb 15, 2015.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I have a bantam mix hen and her legs are messed up quite a bit,she can't walk or fly up on anything well at all. She did have almost an inch of crusty like stuff on the back of her legs and some do have mites which I'm treating them for now. But only her leg is swollen and on her left leg her last toe is curved up and it's very difficult for her to walk,and the roosters breed her and she just lays there on the ground weak like. It kinda looks like bumble foot on her leg cause of the sores. It's been like this for at least a month if not a little more. We gave her a shot of antibiotics we bought at Tractor Supply for livestock but didn't help. I need help please!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    It has been like this for a MONTH????

Can you at least separate her? I hope others here have an idea of what this is and how to treat it, it looks like an infection to me. Having her lie there and be bred against her will surely isn't helping anything.

To prevent mites I just give the birds a couple of sprays of Frontline (for puppies and kittens, comes in a spray bottle) every few months, I spray them under their wings.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her legs and feet could be infected with a viral or bacterial arthritis, or mycoplasma synoviae, which is a respiratory disease affecting the joints. The first and third pictures almost look like a tumor, and she looks to be in a lot of pain. If I were you, I would send her to the state vet to be euthanized, and have a necropsy performed to see if there is a contagious disease. In Ohio, I believe a necropsy is around $80. At least I would separate her in her own pen with food and water so that she is left alone. Here is a link to contact the Ohio state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

4. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Thanks guys,I'm gonna try to separate her and I can't afford another vet bill nor do I want to put her down. I really hope someone will have something to help her out!!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Antibiotics should be used on her if you are going to try to save her. If you think it could be MS, Tylan 50 injectable would be best to use as a shot daily for 3 days, or given orally for 5 days. A bantam should get 1/4 ml daily. If you think it is a staphylococcal infection, then Procaine Penicillin G would be good. Dosage is 1/4 ml daily, injected into the breast 1/4 inch, for 4 days. Use a 20 gauge needle since it is thick medicine, and shake it well. Baytril or enrofloxacin would be the best drug to use for either one, but unless you have it or have bought it online, you will only be able to get it from your vet.

6. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I just brought her in are shop in the garage and set up the dog crate with straw/food/water. And it stays at least 40 degrees in there at all times and plus when were out there we start the woodstove and it's about 10-20 degrees outside. Anyway she was in the coop of course before I brought her in and just lays there but when I went out to get her she was moving the straw with her beak and pecking the floor so she has a will to live.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]The inside of the crate
    [​IMG]I held her up to help her eat easier
    [​IMG]And with drinking
    [​IMG]Than before I left she actually started eating by herself which made me real happy,I'm gonna get some fresh antibiotics and start giving her regular shots for a few days. And later I'm gonna scramble an egg for her. I'm just glad she's still eating and drinking and now she doesn't have to stay as warm as she did outside or worry about the other chickens picking on her or the roosters breeding her. I hope she pulls through!! Any additional help would be appreciated,thanks

7. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Anyone? [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have a vet locally that could see her, even a large animal vet? She needs antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory medicine would help. Vets have better antibiotics than what we get a feed stores. What do her upper leg joints look like? Are they swollen as well? A baby aspirin twice a day may help with pain and inflammation, but vets can prescribe Metacam. Here are some articles to read about MS and staphylococcal infections:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou.../overview_of_staphylococcosis_in_poultry.html

9. tarajane

tarajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    Unless you are positively sure she is not in pain (which you are not) get a friend or neighbor to put her down. You don't have to watch. Pain is inhumane.[​IMG]

10. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I went out and she has died [​IMG][​IMG] At least I know she isn't in pain now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by