Please help! My incubator won't stay regulated and it's hatch time!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madgabmomma, Apr 2, 2011.

1. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    This is my first attemp at incubation and I have 3 bantham eggs that were due to hatch today. Everything has went great up until this point. All 3 eggs had live moving chicks at last candeling which was at day 14 of incubation. I have kept my room temp between 68-72 degees and held a constant incubator temp of 99.5 without adjusting the knobs at all. Since this morning I can't keep it constant inside the incubator. It's ranging from low 90s to 104. I can keep it aroudn 96-100 as long as I keep my room at 80 degrees but it's our bedroom so that's not to comfortable for us. [​IMG] Anyways one of my eggs is starting to crack a little but nothing from the others. Should I be worried? There is plenty of movement in the egg that's piped and a little from egg #2 also but no piping yet. Nothing from egg #3. I think I'll be up all night and I'm a wreck worried I'm going to kill them when we've made it this far???? O and my incubator is a little giant still air and I was using an automatic egg turner up until day 18.

2. RGWright

RGWright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    NW Missouri
    At this stage, you're just going to have to go with stuff. Try not to open the incubator too much right now, even though your instinct tells you too. I wish you good luck. Try your best to stay calm though, it's in your best interest.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would wait a bit longer. Unfortunately those incubators do not have the best reputation, but some have had success with them.

4. madgabmomma

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    Thanks for the replies. Nothing more going on yet. I have been able to keep my temp regulated for the past two hours so hopefully we'll be ok. Egg #1 hasn't piped anymore but have seen movements. I think if I'm going to set anymore eggs I'm gonna have to get a better incubator. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

Quote:I would agree with that. Get a hovabator or brinsea. Both really good bators.

6. madgabmomma

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    Another quick question......how long do I give the piped egg to hatch out? And the others if they don't show any signs of life or hatching how long should I keep them? Yesterday (4-2) was day 21. THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!

7. debilorrah

Quote:Once an egg pips I wait about 10 hours, then start chipping away at the egg. SLOWLY. One chip at a time. You see any blood AT ALL, STOP put it back.

8. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    It is pretty exciting, and if your like most of us it is hard to relax. I hatch eggs with my class, and have spent several nights with a blanket on the couch in my classroom. Try to be patient and if a problem comes up there is usually lots of good help and advice from people here.
    Good luck!!!

9. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I Agree, you really would be happier with a better incubator. That one is so hard to keep adjusted. When you turn off your egg turner, the temps will drop because it was a source of heat. If you adjust your wafer by turning the knob, then you spike the temps, so that is bad too. It is just about impossible to keep that regulated in a heated house. I found the basement has more constant temps, so it is easier there. I have a Genesis 1588 and it is so worth the money. It is really just plug and play. It automatically adjusted to a tenth of a degree, the fan helps too. So, maybe have some hot sleepy tea and go to bed and wake up to whatever happens. If you open the bator, all that moist air is lost and it takes sometimes hours to get the humidity up again. I wish they would invent a "sleeve" like in an infant incubator to slip your hand through. How hard would that be?

Good luck, I too am hatching right now some shipped Wheaten Marans eggs from Bargain. I have four out and two more pips I can see in the window. I don't dare raise the lid unless I have to (chick stuck or hurt) as I may save one egg just to let 10 more die.

I send you hatching vibes. And sleepy Tea.................[​IMG]

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Just checking in with you Magda! How's it going? I am hoping you are sleeping away your worries and wake to fuzzy butts. I do hope you hatch more than one though, as one is a lonely number and you'll need to find friends to adopt. Good luck! HenZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by