1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP, my new adult duck appears to be limping and falls over

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackalackin, May 10, 2016.

1. Quackalackin

Quackalackin Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I just purchased a flock of 6 adult (about a year old) Ancona ducks four days ago and one has been walking with what appears to be a limp. She rocks heavily from side to side and falls over if she tries to run. I contacted the person I got them from to see if it was an older injury but she hadn't noticed it before, so I think it might have happened in my transport. I had all six ducks in a large dog kennel for the car ride. I use this same kennel on a cart to move them from their outdoor area during the day to a stable at night. I noticed the limp the first night, but not so much their second day. However last night and today it has been very prominent.

What could it be or what should I do? I've only been able to look at her from a distance since they still run away from me. She doesn't hold her foot up and there doesn't appear to be abnormalities, but something is definitely wrong. I read something about wrapping legs in Epsom wraps a few times a day, but I can hardly catch her to even look for the injury in the first place :/

Any advice would be helpful! I don't want to resort to having to pay for a vet on a duck I just got, but I will if I can't do anything to aid her within a week or so

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by