Update: crop surgery with graphic photos

upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg
I like this photo because it shows unambiguously where the tube needs to go. Once the tube is in, she should calm down. But it's easier with two people. I do it alone, but always feels a third hand would be useful.

@Emilysclukscluks, so sorry your hen isn't feeling well. :hugs

Can you weigh her?

If she were mine I would start by making sure she is warm enough, then I would tube fluids at 14 ml per pound, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat, and I might even do it once more in 2-4 hours. Even though she is drinking, she is almost certainly a little dehydrated, and hydration should always be corrected before giving food.

How To Crop Feed Your Bird Diagram

This is probably the best tubing video on the web:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUjFZRDp1W3eT9RWJVJ5DBKsFC9cMuYh/view?usp=sharing
These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

This one uses a tube like I use

@Emilysclukscluks, so sorry your hen isn't feeling well. :hugs

Can you weigh her?

If she were mine I would start by making sure she is warm enough, then I would tube fluids at 14 ml per pound, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat, and I might even do it once more in 2-4 hours. Even though she is drinking, she is almost certainly a little dehydrated, and hydration should always be corrected before giving food.

Various tubes and syringes that can be used.
tube_feeding_suppplies.jpg

This is aquarium air line. If you use this you need to melt the end so it is not too sharp.
melted tube_1.jpg.png

How To Crop Feed Your Bird Diagram

This is probably the best tubing video on the web:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUjFZRDp1W3eT9RWJVJ5DBKsFC9cMuYh/view?usp=sharing
These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

This one uses a tube like I use

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Once again sorry for the very late update, but im happy to report that our Rockstar Regina is alive and seemingly well! After her last bout of sickness I treated with amoxicillin and I ordered the tube feeding kit but she surprised me and started eating on her own! After a couple more weeks I returned her to the coop with her sister and I honestly think thats when I started to see her make a real turn for the better. She had gotten herself to a devastating weight of 3.8 lbs (her sister weighs 7.6lbs) and im happy to report she is completely back to regular eating and foraging outside. It is taking a very long time for her to gain weight, the last time I weighed her she was up to 4.9 lbs which is just over 1lb weight gain! If I weighed her again today I would assume it would be even higher! I can't thank everyone on her enough for the support, advice and knowledge! Im still so hesitant but I think our girl might be in the clear! Special thanks to @azygous you were my mentor and helped me save her life, wish I could say thanks in person! And to everyone else @aart @casportpony @micstrachan @Eggcessive and to everyone I left out :hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom