Please Help my power went out on day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by natalie1136, Feb 1, 2009.

1. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    Today is day 20. I have three chicks already hatched and some pipped. Well the power went about a hour ago who know when it come back on. I put a freezer bag with hot water in there and hot water in troughs. This is a lyon RX . Will i lose these eggs? The temp is holding at 91.7 and humidity is 70%. Please help!!!

Natalie

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It sounds like you have done about all you can. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted how it turns out.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Call the power company.

Pray.

And buy a generator and store extra fuel for it.... for the next time.

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I'm thinking with it being day 20 you should be ok. I would REALLY not open it unless dire necessity though to make sure the heat stays in.

Can you wrap it in blankets at all?

At least it's not Day 17 or anything!

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh no!! That is awful!!! Well, if it were me in your situation, I would first try to keep the heat in by putting blankets around the incubator. If the heat keeps going down, I might even consider putting the remaining eggs in bed with me and pulling the blankets up. No kidding. Maybe you could try one egg and see how it goes? How about the ones already hatched? How are you keeping them warm? Or are they still in the incubator? How do you feel about being a mother hen and keeping them all in bed with you? I think I'd try that if the electricity doesn't come on soon and the heat keeps going down. Best wishes!!!!!

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I was going to suggest using body heat to finish the job. How many eggs are left? If you have gas water heater fill the tub with warm water and float a Rubbermaid type tote in the water, with the eggs in it. You may have enough hot water if your electric water heater is large enough.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Dont let the humidity get too high in your panic

I would definitely not want it any higher than 70% 65% would be better IMO

Wrap the bator in blankets and monitor it thru the window and things should be fine

8. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    we have a converter for the car that plugs into the cigarette lighter. We pluged it in and ran an extension cord to the bator. It dosen't seem to be enough power to run it. It isn't getting any warmer. I would put them in bed with me if i needed to. How would i keep the humidity up enough for them not to dry out during hatch if they are in bed with me. My husband thinks that is a crazy idea, but i'm a crazy lady. Natalie

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    How many eggs are in there? I heard somebody hatched a chicken out in their bra. But that could get kinda messy.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well we are a crazy bunch and it has been done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by