PLEASE HELP MY QUAIL ARE DYING!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magikchick, May 13, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Can someone please help me. I have a pen of 4 week old coturnix that something is wrong with. They gulp down food like they are starving. Then I'll find one just all huddled up in a corner. Then they die. I have had this happen with 4 so far. One was in the food dish and had some runny stool underneath it. What can I do?

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    add sugar water, make sure they aren't overly drafted? Hope pray? Teryamicin in the water

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well I dont know, But I am prayin for the little guys!!!

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Are they getting medicated chick starter?

Do they have a heat source?

If it were I, I would give them some sugar water, some medicated chick starter(or antibiotic in their water), and a heat lamp.

See if that doesn't help any.

-Kim

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    That is really odd... makes me wonder if the food is contaminated? normally birds that are sick dont want to eat....so that's why im wondering if theres something wrong with the feed itself???

At 4 weeks in florida they will be fine without heat, so it's deffinatly something ELSE other than heat.

I really wonder if it's the feed.

[​IMG] im so sorry.

6. magikchick

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I have 3 other pens that are fine. They are all getting the same food. Just this one group is sick.

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Hum. Okay that rules out that. Cocci could be an issue then. Have they been exposed to older birds poo, the ground etc?

8. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Make a mix of water, sugar (or honey) with salt. One cup of water, one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt. This is basically pedialyte and will help them regain the water that they're loosing, without lowering the electrolytes in their systems (like you would with binge drinking water).

Other than that, good luck... Sorry that I can't help any more than that... [​IMG]

9. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    If only the chicks in the one pen are dying, my question is what is the pen made of? If it is made of galvanized chicken wire that has been dipped after fabrication, they may be picking the galvanization off the wire, which will poison and kill them.

10. magikchick

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    No the bottom is plastic wire and the others are on the same thing. I had another bird in the cage before I put these guys in it. I wonder if he could have been infected with something. He is in another pen now and seems to be fine along with the other quail that is in with him. However they are older then the 4 weekers.

I have some sulmet I could give them to see if it's Cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by