Please help! My Road Island Red isn't right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimber_11, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Kimber_11

Kimber_11 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Three days ago, we noticed, "Red" standing under the tree (Out of character, she is never quiet unless sleeping). She is always at the top of the pecking order. My other two were pushing her around. When I felt her crop it was full. I got onto this website (First time) and
    did as suggested, gave her olive oil and gently massaged her crop, tipped her upside down and pushed the contents out her mouth with a 10sec time limit for rest and breath.
    Next day she seemed to be doing much better. Today is a different story. When she puts her head down to pick at food, she dumps water (slimy but clear) out of her mouth. I suspect she has a blockage beyond the crop?
    If I can treat her, I would love for some advice. I have separated her and will more closely survey her bowel movements if any.
    Thank you for any support...I love my "Red" She is 6 years old, up until last week she was laying 1-2 eggs a day. I live in Southern California.
    Kimber

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I'd like to know if there's an answer for this too as I lost a hen earlier this year who had similar symptoms. Albiet she was 8-9 years old I felt like I really failed her.

I don't know if isolating and feeding only a liquid diet like chicken broth and electrolytes for a few days will help clear it up or not.

3. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
  4. Kimber_11

Aug 13, 2011
    Quote:This is my next question. Would there be any harm in giving her an antibioltic?

5. Kimber_11

Aug 13, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for your response...chicken broth? Wouldn't that make them cannibalistic?

6. Kimber_11

Aug 13, 2011
    Quote:This is my next question. Would there be any harm in giving her an antibioltic?

Thank you so much! I will get some applesauce and yogurt to see if this simple step can't make a difference. Next step will be to take her to the vet. She isn't lethargic, just not herself. She did have a normal bowel movement just a few
    minutes ago...good sign?

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I found one thread on here where someone used an over the counter vaginal cream (for the treatment of yeast infection) to treat a hen with sour crop because they were unable to get ahold of nystatin.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6869468

It sounds scarey but it seems to me if a woman can use it internally it shouldn't be toxic. I guess if I had it to do over again, I would have tried it on one of my older hens that I lost this year. I wish I had found this it would have better than letting her slowly starve to death.

8. Kimber_11

Aug 13, 2011
    Yes, we lost a hen a year ago to similar symptoms. I sure wish Bella would have had the benefit of this knowledge. I know she is rooting for Red. Our chickens are family...I know this sounds funny, but they are in there with the dogs
    cat, cockatiel, tortoise and turtle.

9. tball

tball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    I also lost one to this same thing. After much reaserch i bought a gallon of Apple cider vinagar with mother, not regular grocery store stuff, you have to get it at health food store or i ordered my on line, from the Vitamin shop, made by Braggs...good luck [​IMG]

10. Kimber_11

Aug 13, 2011
    Do you give the apple cider with a syringe? Or do they drink it...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by