PLEASE help my roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dee06, Jul 25, 2014.

1. dee06

dee06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2014
    Suffolk UK
    can any one help please, my little roo has blood around his eye and comb

wilfred

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    First you need to determine if he was pecked, or if they are sores or possibly mosquito bites. Fowl pox can look like this at first from mosquitoes. Make sure that it isn't coming from his beak. Apply some Neosporin ointment to them. If he is being pecked, you might want to separate the bully.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. dee06

Jun 26, 2014
    Suffolk UK
    Thanks, he is only 4.5 weeks old and was fine when I let them out this morning but later he had a cut I think maybe he caught it on something, I cleaned it with water and cotton wool. There 9 chicks 5 small 4 bigger in with a broody and I have just seen her pecking at some of the other chicks, so it could be her

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes there can be pecking and wounds if various ages are together, especially when they are new to each other. If he got too close to the other chicks, I'm sure that the broody would strike out at him. A little iodine on the wounds would take the place of the Neosporin.

5. dee06

Jun 26, 2014
    Suffolk UK
    Thanks they are all from the same hatch so being with the chicks is no problem, I have treated him with a dab of purple spray and is back in the run with the others all seems fine except when they are trying to dust bath mum pecks at them all and pulls feathers out, is she trying to wean them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by