PLEASE HELP!!! My rooster had pecked over half my baby hens head off he killed another one what do i

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dixie2003, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dixie2003

dixie2003 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    She has her skin its bloody i have separated her from everyone and i need to know what to do i cant see her eye so im thinking its gone i am waiting on my hubby to get home so he can help me clean her but what do i use ???

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

OH! I'm sure someone will jump in and help more than I can. Keep her warm (shock) and safe, and I'd kill that rooster! I've read threads similar and many eventually survive ordeals like this! So sorry! [​IMG]

3. dixie2003

Jun 14, 2011
    bad part is he is the same age as them 3 months and he did this why i was out of town !! my hubby found one dead one day and the next day found this one injured i am sooo mad !! i just need to know how to clean it and care for it i know that she might die but i want to try to help her live even if she only has one eye

4. dixie2003

Jun 14, 2011
    and he is now with my almost 2 year old hens and there giving him a run for his money and i told him today he deserved what he gets

5. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    If you type in head wound in the search bar you will get lots of others with similar issues. From what I have read you would just carefully clean the wound with warm water or saline. Put an antibiotic ointment with out pain reliever on it or put some Blue Kote on it to keep it from getting infected. Sometime pics can be very helpful so people can see just what your talking about and they can give you some better or more detailed advice. Good luck Is she eating or drinking anything. If not maybe you could offer her some sugar water to help give her energy.

6. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I have baby chicks.. they were hatching the first day.. one had hatched, one was in the process.. another hen pushed the mama out of the nest and pecked baby #1 in the head.. on one side of the back of it's head.. I was checking and found the mama out of her nest.. and the injured baby under her .. it was bloody but not "bleeding".. I cleaned it and put some BLU-KOTE Spray in it (careful to cover the eyes, nose, etc.)... I cleaned it first with a 50% peroxide and 50% warm water.. then I put it back under the mom to care for... I checked it later.. it was acting fine from the time it was injured.. no "brain damage", etc.. so.. I put Neosporin the next day.. and more Blu-Kote later. then, Neosporin the next day.. and Red Kote a couple of days later (less drying than Blu-Kote)..
    This wound looked horrible.. no skin or feathers left .. didn't and still don't know what I was seeing "brain or muscle"... but, the baby has and is looking and acting fine. I guess I was lucky that it didn't get pecked into the brain.
    The mother has been fine and had not even noticed the baby looking a bit different than the others that hatched. I didn't take a picture of the injury before I cleaned it and put Blu--Kote on it.. "heat of the moment" -- I should have..
    Best of luck.. I did use the Search here when it happened.. and Searched "Hen pecked baby chick in head"... there were several posts. Try searching variations on that.. but, definitely clean it and use Blu-Kote Spray on it... If the baby is acting good that is the key.. keep it from getting infected and let mama care for it if she will.

Good luck.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    advice you are getting is excellent. I wouldn't use peroxide tho, it burns and can damage healthy skin.

8. dixie2003

Jun 14, 2011
    i raised these baby's got them from a hatchery so i am mommy and they know that thanks so much for the advise i am going to get some things for her tommrow and get the wound cleaned asap she is drinking but i have not seen her eating yet but my husband said that he seen her eating it looks like the wound is in the brain but she is walking around and acting fine. I will let you guys know what happens. thanks so much

9. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Post an update on how the baby is... how old is the chick?

If the chick is acting fine, and you have the chicks all separated from that rooster, now... and the injured one separate, safe, warm, etc. Clean the wound, Blu Kote works well for most wounds. And, you can get some water soluable antibiotics, such as Duramycin 10 (1 to 1 and a half teaspoons per gallon of water), make it fresh, change it as often as it gets dirty or turns dark.

If the chicks are on Chick Starter as their feed, just watch and wait after wound care... and, if all the chicks are the same age, used to each other, you might try to get the chick back with its siblings as soon as it seems o.k., strong enough, just watch for pecking. (I didn't keep the injured chick separate, left it with the other chicks and mama, as it was acting fine... so, they all hatched together, and have not tried to peck at the injured one's wound as far as I know. They are little more than two weeks old now.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are at just a few days old... the injury happened on day one, this is taken, probably day three.

Best of luck....

10. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    If the Rooster were mine he would have to go.....So sorry....he'll do it again.... cute chicks, hope it thrives...~Charm1704

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by