Please Help! My Sebastopol Has Infected Broken Blood Feather!

jadeduck13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
My young Sebastopol goose is bleeding from the wing tip (she also has Angel Wing), and we think it might be from an infected broken blood feather. I have no pictures, but I want to know if it might be from her angel wing and the cold, or the infected blood feather. How do I fix it? I've heard that the only way to get rid of the broken blood feather is to pull it out. If they are infected, what do I do after the feathers are gone? We do not have a vet (nor do we want to go to one- we don't trust others with our birds) and we mostly do all the work ourselves. Please Help!
hu.gif

Lexie

My young Sebastopol goose is bleeding from the wing tip (she also has Angel Wing), and we think it might be from an infected broken blood feather. I have no pictures, but I want to know if it might be from her angel wing and the cold, or the infected blood feather. How do I fix it? I've heard that the only way to get rid of the broken blood feather is to pull it out. If they are infected, what do I do after the feathers are gone? We do not have a vet (nor do we want to go to one- we don't trust others with our birds) and we mostly do all the work ourselves. Please Help!
hu.gif

Lexie
How is the wing today, you can soak the wing in a solution of warm water and Epsom salt it will help it to heal if infected . What exactly does it look like that makes you think it maybe infected. Some say to pull them out others rec just leaving it alone since it will most likely blood more if you pull it. Since she has angel wing she may have caught her wing on something and that's how she broke the feather, clipping her wings back like you would do to keep one from flying will help greatly in keeping her from injuring herself I have a good link about clipping if you need one. if you use ES water make sure she doesn't drink any of the water since ES also works as a laxative. Epsom salt and water 1 cup ES to 1 quart of warm water, small bucket or deep bowl will work for soaking,.

The broken feathers are pulled and are healing well, but we could not cut them because the last owner had cut the wings down to stumps. Pretty much. We will try the Epsom salt and water solution. Whenever it was really cold outside she would bleed from those two feathers only. She had that feather for a long time and it remained the same. Thankfully, I think it will heal quick and then we are going to tackle her angel wing problem. Thank you for your help! :D

hu.gif

Lexie
Pulling the feather's that were bleeding is the best thing to do because then it stops the bleeding and the goose can grow out new ones.

Back
Top Bottom