Please help my sick chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tyedyefire, Sep 21, 2013.

1. tyedyefire

tyedyefire New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Sacramento CA
    Hello, I am a new chicken owner, since February to be exact, and there's already a sick chicken. Pippin is a white Brahma approximately 8 months old. She is an everyday layer and usually very energetic and friendly. I went outside this morning to check on them (we have 5 chickens all together-the others seem fine) and Pippin was standing under the waterer not paying to much attention to myself or the others running around.
    Symptoms:
    Lethargic
    Large, mushy crop
    Diarrhea
    Not eating
    Not laying
    Pale comb
    Emaciated
    Her eyes are clear and she was drinking water but at the moment that's about the only positive.
    I started this post at 10:00 this morning and it is now 7:45 pm and there is no change. All the girls are in the coop for the night but Pippin isn't perched, she's usually right in the middle, instead she's lying on the floor of the coop with the babies. I tried to do some research during the day and read about impacted and sour crops and coccidiosis, which include all of her symptoms but like I said I'm a new chicken owner and I'm completely at a loss of what to do. She's such a sweet girl and I'd hate to loose her, please help.

2. tyedyefire

tyedyefire New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you for the information. She doesn't look sick except for being lethargic, at one point she popped up and ran for about one second, that's the most she's moved all day though. She walks when she needs to get somewhere but that's it.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] please post in detail asap on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures,' thread - more experienced people monitor that site and hopefully will be able to advise treatment.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I see you posted in the Emergencies section. You will get good advice there. Best of luck with your hen!

5. tyedyefire

tyedyefire New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Sacramento CA
    Unfortunately Pippin passed during the night....It has been a very sad morning.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sorry for your loss.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome!

8. FaithFeathers