Please help my sick little lady

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LukeandAli, Mar 9, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    I have a beautiful New Hampshire Red (whom we've nick-named "Red" or "Bacon") who seems to be a little sick. I'm not sure what is wrong (we are VERY new to the whole chicken thing). She isn't laying and has recently started to decrease her diet (although she is still eating). We got her in January and assumed that it was the move from her old home to our home that made her stop laying; but, now we are pretty sure she is sick.

I want to help her feel better; but, I have no clue where to start. :(

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Would you mind giving us a bit of info on your girl? Like how old is she? Has she changed her behavior since you brought her home? What kind of diet do you have her on? Have you checked her over well for mites/lice? Has she recently been wormed?

And CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  3. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Thanks for the congratulations! She is a wonderful, sweet, beeeeautiful baby (but, I'm biased [​IMG]).

We think she is 1.5 years old (maybe 2). She's been a quiet hen since we got her; but, I haven't noticed any change other than she has progressively gotten a little lazier. She eats Layena and gets cracked corn and fresh veggies/fruits and yogurt, oatmeal, etc. for treats. Our girls are lice and mite free. She hasn't been wormed since we got her; but, her previous owners said she and her "sisters" were all up to date when we picked them up (five of our hens came together). The girls get to free range during the day and live in the same coop they lived in at their old home (we bought them and their coop as a package deal). Please let me know if there is anything else I can tell you to help figure this out. I really appreciate the "experts" taking time to help a newbie. [​IMG]

4. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Do you have any way you can separate her from the others? Like in a portable dog kennel? I would separate her. Make sure she's in a warm, draft free, dark, quiet place. Stop all treats for the time. Get some polyvisol (without iron) drops and put them in her water. Encourage her to eat by wetting her Layena and mixing a tablespoon or so of wet cat food in it.

Separating her will accomplish a couple of things. First, if she has something contagious, although it may be too late, you might prevent spreading it. Second, you will be able to better monitor her intake and output - monitor her poop and compare it to the poop chart: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 . Third, you can control her environment to make sure it stays dark for a longer time during the day so if she's having a laying problem, her body won't be encouraged to lay right now. And, fourth, you can more closely monitor her behavior.

Unless and until she shows more symptoms, I'm not real sure there's much more you can do. Do you have some "basic" meds on hand? Like a couple of different wormers, penicillin and syringes, etc??

That's some of the basics. NOW, if it were one of MY girls - and I think I am a bit aggressive when it comes to treatment so no pressure - I would be worming all of them. A lot can happen in a couple of months. Wild birds can bring in mites/lice/worms and other illnesses. I will privately message you with some info I keep on hand from dawg53. He's one of my gurus on here and I trust him implicitly with the health of my girls (and anything from CMV).

5. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!! I got your PM. DH and I don't have the meds on hand; but we will pick them up when we head to the farm store today. I have an area in the garage she can hang out until she is feeling better (the garage has windows, so, she will have light). Thank you again!

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Let us know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by