Please help. My sweet chick is four weeks old and has some sort of neck tumor!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amy Carter, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Amy Carter

Amy Carter Songster

Nov 10, 2017
    MA/NH border
    E3EED922-0FFE-4B83-B5C0-AE1FED777930.jpeg Please help. It’s a Sunday afternoon, no hope of get how do I help? This is a pic after bath

Lovechickens! likes this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    drumstick diva and The Phantom like this.
  3. Amber.charlie

Amber.charlie Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Dorset, UK
    :(:hit Poor little thing. I have no advice... just praying that she’s going to be ok.

4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

The photo is small and difficult to see. Is the skin pulled taught? It almost looks like an air bubble, except for the red, inflamed appearance of the skin. Is there any kind of sore? A scratch or poke that could have gotten infected? I am thinking it is some sort of absess.

ChooksNQuilts and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. Amy Carter

Amy Carter Songster

Nov 10, 2017
    MA/NH border
    Here is a zoomed in pic. It’s on the left side of her neck (like way to the side not a shifted crop.)
    It’s very puffed out and stretched out. There’s no definitive spot of origin. Like there are oozy spots but it could be where the feather tubes were getting pinched from pressure. I hold her every day so this game on quickly or I would’ve noticed sooner

Attached Files:

drumstick diva likes this.
  6. Jellybean05

Jellybean05 Songster

Mar 23, 2018
    Princeton north Carolina
    Maybe it's a crop infection.....im sorry I can't help but praying it goes way soon

Lovechickens! likes this.
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It does look like some sort of abscess. If you can afford it, you might want to look into taking her to the vet. Abscesses are pockets of pus that will likely pop if they don't get lanced. Then you have infection introduced into the bird which would requre antibiotics to clear it up. Unfortunately, not a lot of vets will treat chickens.

8. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Bath?. . .Bath? Who had the bath? You or the chicken? I've never given a chicken a bath in my very long life. Anyway, this looks very painful and serious. Looks like it's been developing for some time. Obviously it's infected, which is not good. I'm sure this bird is in a lot of pain. You may have to cull it if you can't afford a vet, if you can find a vet that will see chickens. I hate to see the poor thing suffering. Good luck, let us all know what happens. :fl

9. Amy Carter

Amy Carter Songster

Nov 10, 2017
    MA/NH border
    It really isn’t the crop area it’s the back left. And it doesn’t seem fluid filled more like dense flesh. Not to be a weirdo,but like the consistency of a hot dog.
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

drumstick diva and Duck Hippie like this.
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That's actually a good description. The more information you can provide, the more able people are to help you.

nerfworthy and Amy Carter like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: