Please help need advice asap with lockdown humidity in my Genesis 1588 hova-bator

fastbob

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
We are incubating for the first time with our new Genesis 1588. We followed the directions and our humidity level ranged from 50-52 percent the first 17 days. Today is day 18 so we added water to the second tray and made sure both trays were full. The humidity only came up to 58 percent. Everything I've read says the humidity should be up to a minimum of 65 percent during lockdown. Should we add some wet sponges or leave it at 58 percent? Also the pics with our instructions show eggs and chicks lying directly on the wire floor. I'm afraid if I put a paper towel down over the wire it may block humidity from the water tray underneath. Please help.
Thanks,

Last edited:
After several hours of lockdown humidity has come up to 63 percent. Still wonder if this high enough?

I am new to my first hatch too...I had the same problem getting the humidity up.In fact i stil am trying to get it to 70 Have 66 now.
I REad Think surface water..it puts the humidity in the air. Not depth of water.

.I have 2 sponges and have straws into mine to add more water with a big syringe(clamp off straws after i add..I do have it to 66. i have a hovabator styrafoam so put a hole in it for the straw and used one thru the air hole that has a plug.
.i dont know about Genesis.YOu may have to lift the lid and add some fast to get it higher if its not styrafoam.

Thanks Roxanne. Mine is also a hova bator, Genesis is the model. After I took out the egg tray I noticed there were 3 additional water trays under it that you couldn't add water to with the turner in place. I added water to these so I'm hoping by the A.M. the humidity will be up at least to 65. I've seen 3 University web sites that say 65 percent is high enough so you should be alright were you are.

I hope so. Everyone i talked to on here said it depends on a lot of factors but 65 is about the medium not too high or low I have those inner wells also but havent filled them b/c i would havre to open it up might do it anyway as the other are almost running over and still my humidity is just about 66.
My heat has been down to 98.8 which idont like.it has been about 100 give or take 5 tens of a degree the whole 3 weeks I think its the fan on all that water cooling the inside maybe.Started lowering when i add more water yesterday
good luck on your hatch!

I hope so. Everyone i talked to on here said it depends on a lot of factors but 65 is about the medium not too high or low I have those inner wells also but haven't filled them b/c i would have to open it up might do it anyway as the other are almost running over and still my humidity is just about 66.
My heat has been down to 98.8 which i don't like.it has been about 100 give or take 5 tens of a degree the whole 3 weeks I think its the fan on all that water cooling the inside maybe.Started lowering when i add more water yesterday
good luck on your hatch!

When u add the water yes it will drop temp so then you need to turn your heat up until it is at least 100.0 then after it is staying and it bumps up you humidity you can then turn the heat down till you get to like 99.5-99.9. It just drops every time anyone adds water. I keep a gallon of room temp water next to me 3 incubators I have running. Don't want to use to cold not to hot so best to just use room temp. Does this make any since what I am telling you honey?

I hope so. Everyone i talked to on here said it depends on a lot of factors but 65 is about the medium not too high or low I have those inner wells also but havent filled them b/c i would havre to open it up might do it anyway as the other are almost running over and still my humidity is just about 66.
My heat has been down to 98.8 which idont like.it has been about 100 give or take 5 tens of a degree the whole 3 weeks I think its the fan on all that water cooling the inside maybe.Started lowering when i add more water yesterday
good luck on your hatch!

P.S. ????? you bought a digital temp gauge thing that also tells you humidity right I hope? Don't trust that free temp thing they give with it. It is junk and doesn't work well it is always off.

Back
Top Bottom