Please Help! Need info on Speckled Sussexes!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Jan 2, 2013.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I bought some speckled sussexes to help me with my egg laying business. But I just read that they are broody. I also read that broodiness stops egg production in some chickens. Is this true with Speckled Sussexes?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think it's unlikely they will all go broody. I've had a few and none did. If they came from a hatchery then they've probably been bred not to be broody for some time. Sussex are not among the very broodiest of breeds -- no dual purpose birds are. Mostly it is Silkies and game fowl that are very broody.

That said, Sussex do have some tendency to go broody, which probably means you will get one or a few broody hens among them. They also make good mothers if they do go broody.

It is just about universally true that a broody hen does not lay eggs while broody.

You can check for broodiness of a particular breed in our breeds section. But keep in mind this is "on average," and in the end they are individuals. Leghorns, for example, are considered a non-broody breed, but people have certainly had a broody Leghorn pop up now and again.

3. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by