PLEASE HELP! new chicks....wormy looking poop??? (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ctcasper, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have seven new chicks I got yesterday. They are now 2 days old. I went to change their water earlier today and noticed what looked like a worm in the waterer. It freaked me out, but i just flushed it down the drain after taking a couple pics to post. THought, hey maybe its normal....but then after cleaning their brooder and putting new paper towel down I noticed that a few of the new poops looked wormy, like long tubes or smaller pieces of tubes if that makes sense. I am worried about wether or not my kids or I could get sick from them???? [​IMG] Please help. I will post a pic in a bit. Thanks.

Tara

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. ctcasper

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    These are both pictures of the same thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this is worms, will it hurt me or my kids....

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh yuck!!!!!! I hope someone can help you!!! That's just nasty.

4. alaskanhenhouse

alaskanhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    nasty! in a two day old? where did the chicks come from?

5. ctcasper

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    They came from a hatchery...they are a decent sized hatchery that ships all over. Could this be caused by giving them treats at too young of an age because by step father picked them up and i am not sure what he fed them before I got them.....

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You need to get some chicken wormer, those look like roundworms. gross

7. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm new to this but if they are two days old did you pick them up at the hatchery? I would take them back and show them this problem.

8. jb101

jb101 New Egg

Apr 26, 2008
    Usually a chicken needs to eat feed, soil or litter that is infected with worm larvae and then it latches on for a few days in the bird and then comes out in the droppings. That is what I seem to remember from school. Wouldn't think that only being a couple days old they could already have worms. I know that sometimes chick droppings can be kind of squiggly looking like that. I read on another of your posts that you are using only a 100 watt light bulb, to me it sounds as if they are too cold and got chilled especially if they have pasty butts. The thermometer thing is a great idea. A heat lamp wouldn't hurt either.
    I am also in Minnesota and think I know where you got them from, and if it is in central MN, they are a VERY GOOD hatchery! I have been getting my chicks from them for years and they are always willing to help answer any of my questions I have. Call them up and ask for Jim....he'll figure it out for you, or get you the answer from his vet. Good Luck!
    Jerry

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, I looked at your "poop picture" and it looks normal to me......just baby poop. This pic, however, isn't normal at all. That is definitely a worm. I don't know what it would take for you or the kids to get sick, but I know a woman who works in a petshop and was recently diagnosed with worms.

10. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    The best guard against catching "anything" is washing your hands in warm, soapy water. It should be a practice anyway to do that everytime you go from coop to coop, or if you are going to touch the chickens, and again after you touch the chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by