Please help new mom here

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sacto-urban-farmer, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sacto-urban-farmer

sacto-urban-farmer In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Hi all,
    I need some new chicken education please. I have 2 sexlinks (1 RIR and 1 Black star) They are both about 2 weeks short of their 5 month birthday. The smaller hen started laying last week. She laid a double yolker as the first and the next day a very small egg and nothing since. But she has gone into the coop and acted like she wanted to lay. Any help is appreciated. FYI: the larger hen has not yet started laying.
    Last bit of info...it has turned very hot here temperature wise this week. Any advice appreciated.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    New layers don't lay as well in the beginning and the heat may also be factored into her not laying. Once it cools off and she is older, she will lay more regularly. [​IMG]

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

her egg factory just opened up, now they are on a little shut down to do a little fix up. (lol) she should start laying like a normal chicken as she gets older, maybe a couple weeks i'd guess? she just needs to work out all the kinks

4. sacto-urban-farmer

Mar 20, 2010
    Thanks for the posts. I think the heat is really not helping here in Sacramento. We are boiling!

thanks again!
    Cris

[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My pullets had been laying very regularly until one of 'em went broody, which HAPPENED to be just about the time this heat wave started here in the Sacramento area. Some of them have started again, sporadically. The new pullets started, but stopped, and occasionally I get an egg from them.

Luckily, I don't depend upon the eggs. Eggs are just a bonus, but a very nice one. I do sell some to my next door neighbor (she will NOT let me give them to her!! She insists on paying!) and some folks at work. It helps with pay for the feed, which I'd be buying whether the girls laid eggs or not.

6. sacto-urban-farmer

Mar 20, 2010
    Thanks
    I am definitely getting sporadic laying...no worries as I just love them as my pets...eggs = bonus.
    My favorite thing is that I sit in my chair in the backyard as the sun goes down and inevitably both chickens join me for some petting time and night chat before heading to the coop.
    Take care
    Cris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by