Please help - new mum with broody?? cochin bantam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aussie new mum, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Hi all
    Lolly my adopted bantam is 12 months old. For the last 2 days she has been staying in the nesting box. I suspected she may be broody so each day I pick her up and put her outside as usual to free range. The younger one who is 16 weeks stays inside and sits outside the nesting box while Lolly is in there. She doesn't peck or anything when I lift her out - she has a cuddle then wanders off to have a dust bath. She usually sleeps on the ground but in an upstairs area where there is a perch for the younger one. Lolly sleeps on the ground where I have some wood shavings. The nesting box is downstairs and tonight I took her out and put her upstairs.
    Sorry this is long but my questions are:
    Should I just keep lifting her out and putting her outside during the day then moving her upstairs to her sleeping area at night?
    I'm not sure what time she lays - the times of day vary so how to I not interrupt her if she is laying an egg (I've noticed when she is laying her comb goes a paler red - would this be right?)
    I always take the egg away every day as soon as I realise she's laid - is that right?
    I have wood shavings in their sleeping area (just a thin layer on the floor as Lolly has always slept on the floor not on a perch) - should I take the shavings out of this area?
    Any help appreciated.
    Thank you

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    As far as her comb becoming pale....that happens to them all. And you can take away the egg at any time really. I collect eggs 2-3 times a day. But I also have 30 somewhat chickens. And they all have diffrent schedules. Are there purches low enough that they can reach them to roost????? And shavings are totally fine. Good Luck:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by