Please help newbie with lost 4 week old chick ...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Highland Peach, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Highland Peach

Highland Peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay, I guess I'm an idiot for not having my brooder covered at this point but I cannot cry over spilt milk. We have lost a four week old chick, presumably inside the house. I have looked everywhere to no avail. I'm worried she will be stressed and too cold, as it is only 76 in my house. Do you have any suggestions for enticing out of her hiding spot? It's my son's chick and he is distraught. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Missouri Chicken Chick

Missouri Chicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Mansfield
    Once it starts to get hungry and thirsty, I would assume it will start making noises. Usually they do, however, if it has been by itself, there is a chance it won't? The only time I have ever had one get out, it started making lots of noise once it realized it couldn't get to any food or water. Also, it should naturally go back to the spot where it was being fed and watered, eventually, if something hasn't happened to it. If the chick is four weeks old, 76 degrees isn't too cold. It may have just found a nice spot to sleep and is chillin' out for a while. I would imagine that eventually you will either see it or hear it once it gets thirsty or hungry.

3. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    he won't go far from brooder. I would look under things it is going to hide. Take a flashlight so you can see in tight corners

4. Highland Peach

Mar 17, 2011
    I have moved EVERYTHING, looked under furniture, behind the water heater (with a flashlight), etc and cannot find her anywhere. I'm worried but will just listen for her and hope she turns up soon. Thank you.

5. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    she will. Put light down she will go to it cause she has only known a light.

6. Highland Peach

Mar 17, 2011
    Lights out last night as normal and I went to bed hoping I'd wake up to find my missing chick miraculously back in the brooder. The lure of the light or food and water wasn't enough. It's after 10 am and she's still missing and silent. [​IMG]

7. Highland Peach

Mar 17, 2011
    You guys were correct! I found her walking near the brooder just now. Thank goodness and thanks to all of you for helping me feel better in the middle of the night. Whew!

8. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Glad you found her and that she is ok. Watch where you step this morning, cause you are going to have poop in all kinds of interesting places!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by