please help NEWBIE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NOSPRINGCHIC, Apr 25, 2007.

1. NOSPRINGCHIC

NOSPRINGCHIC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    DALLAS, TX
    HEY GUYS AND GALS,
    I'm new @ this chic raising thing, and I have run into some feather fraying situations.
    First let me say I have always liked chickens, and I have owned a small flock for about two years. Until recentlly they were chickens.....My passion began when my fiancee's uncle brought home some chicks from the feed store for the kids. Since then I have learned sooo much about poultry from this board and other sources. By the way I LOVE THIS FORUM....ya'll are a fantastic bunch with lots of knowledge.
    To the question.....I think my chicks are about 5-7 weeks old. We started with 5 and are down to 3. At fist I thought the two that died's fate was a product of the color they had put on them at the feed store. I now think it was probably habitat. Anyhow, I had read that the chicks needed to eat some chick grit if the would be eating anything besides starter. I was letting them roam the garden while planting and they were eating lots of worms. They were so cute playing chase. The two that died had eaten the most worms, which lead to my decision to give them grit.
    The kids were trying to do all of the caretaking with some advice from myself(like I know anything). So told them to put a vieanna sausage can of grit in their cage. That is exactly what they did. With no feed. Yesterday before I got home the kids had already called saying "mom will you buy my chickens, I don't wanna clean the cage." So now they are my chicks and they have eaten so much grit that they are off balance and their craws feel like hackey sacks!
    Of course the very first thing I did was get that grit outta there, and build them a proper habitat.
    By the way, I thik I can enter the Ghetto Brooder competition now...lol
    So please could someone tell me:
    Have we killed the chicks?
    How long will this grit stay in the necks like a bean bag?
    Why does one of them have wet looking feathers?
    This morning they all looked much better than last night. They are all eating, drinking, peeping and moving around.
    Thanks in advance for your advice!!
    -Carla II

2. NOSPRINGCHIC

Apr 18, 2007
    DALLAS, TX
    correction chicks are probably 3-4 weeks old.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would say...remove ALL grit, and NO treats. Give them a few days on just water and chick starter...they should improve. Good luck, and welcome..and keep us informed!

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Welcome to the forum NOSPRINGCHICK! We are happy you are a part of this forum family. Are they deficating alright? I'm not quite sure how to answer this question. [​IMG] You have me stumped, but if they are eating and drinking ok, I will step out of my comfort zone to say it could pass without any pomp or circumstance. I think right now time is your best indication of what will be. I am hoping and praying for your chicks recovery from this unfortunate circumstance. Keep on doing what you're doing [​IMG]

5. NOSPRINGCHIC

Apr 18, 2007
    DALLAS, TX
    Thanks for the advice.
    I have removed all grit and they are eating and drinking normally.
    Also looks like stool is normal.
    But last night the one I think is a roo's vent was looking inside-out. I cleaned him and vasalined him....this morning he looks normal.
    Thanks for the warm welcome

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I think I may be from the old school, but other than the few goodies any chicks get from the grand kids, I only feed them starter. This is for any chicks have in cages or pens. Those running free eat whatever they can catch other than the starter I give them. Right now I have about 120 running around, 5 in a cage. All chicks need starter until they start laying, then it is lay pellets or crumble and a corn with some oyster shell.

7. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Hello, NOSPRINGCHIC! [​IMG]

I found this a couple of month's ago and it helped me out too.
    Pretty much what everyone else has recommended so far, but here goes:
    "Feed "chick starter" crumbles during the first 3-weeks and then switch to feeding a "grower" diet through 10-weeks of age. Feed a "pullet developer" between 10- and 20-weeks of age. If a developer cannot be located, continue feeding the grower diet through 20-weeks. After 20-weeks, feed a complete "laying mash" to main high production of good-shelled eggs."

Welcome, and good luck with those peeps! [​IMG]

8. NOSPRINGCHIC

Apr 18, 2007
    DALLAS, TX
    THANKS TO EVERYBODY!!!
    YA'LL ARE GREAT.
    Chicks look fine last evening and this morning. Their craw's are still full, but they are jumping, flapping, eating non-stop, and drinking plenty.
    WHEW.....they sure can spook ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by