PLEASE HELP/newlaying RIR partially scalped/ surgery/now laying 1/2egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by earthautumndawn, Sep 14, 2010.

1. earthautumndawn

earthautumndawn New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    I have a flock of 6 birds. Two RIRs one of which was several years old when we got her and already laying the other of which was a pullet but had been raised with the first since hatching. (The other 4 of BJGs that are still Pullets and have not started to lay). These birds are pets. On sunday the new laying RIR was attacked by the older we suspect while on the nest. Her scalp was partially degloved when we found her we took her to the emergency vet where they put her under anesthetic & repaired her head. They sent us home with liquid antibiotic. She has only been laying for about 14 days. Yesterday she laid one smallish normal shaped brown egg with a large white spot. (she is isolated in a dog kennel now in our master bathroom until her stitches come out) this morning she began fussing and when i went in to check she was pecking at half a mushy slimy egg shell. Should I worry?? Is this a result of the anesthesia or antibiotic she is on? After I removed it from the crate she seemed fine & calmed down. She is eating and drinking normally.

Thank you, Autumn

our blog is fredandautumngoinggreen.blogspot.com the entry from yesterday tells the entire story of Helga's emergency.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is probably a result of the stress that she has been through recently. She will probably stop laying for a while, and when she resumes, everything should be fine. Watch out when you try to reintroduce her to the flock. She will have to struggle to regain her place in the pecking order.

3. earthautumndawn

earthautumndawn New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    Thank you sourland. I called our veterinarian and she said the same thing about the eggs. She said we really shouldn't worry until she is completely off the antibiotic b/c just like antibiotics can upset human digestive and waste removal systems they can also upset those of a chicken. I am very concerned about reintroducing her b/c she was already "low woman on the totem" anyway. She was much more comfortable around people than the other 5 chickens [​IMG]

My vet did raise another concern though. She referred me to our state vet regarding the antibiotics Helga was given at the emergency vet. Let me preface this with the emergency vet does not normal treat chickens and kindly made an exception for us b/c of the extent of Helga's injuries and because we were so desperate. They had to treat her with what they had on hand which was Baytril and SMZ TMP and Torbugesic. My vet is concerned that her eggs may never be safe for human consumption. Which, if that is the case, will mean she will have to be isolated anyway. I hate to make her any more of a cast out but I don't want to see her hurt or bullied either.

I am waiting on a call back from the state vet. She was out of the office today and her secretary assured me she would call me first thing in the AM. Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my question I was intensely worried about my girl. Thanks again!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Good luck in getting this straightened out. If she can't be reintroduced to the flock, everyone needs at least one "pet."[​IMG]

5. earthautumndawn

earthautumndawn New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    Thank you again, she is definitely a "pet" but so are the other 5, the three hives of bees, 5 cats and 1 dog! LOL I just wanted to update in case anyone reading runs into a similar situation (although I figure most people aren't as ridiculous about chickens as I am):

Today Helga laid one normal looking if slightly smaller than normal egg. That is great b/c it means she isn't impacted which was my concern. The swelling on her head as gone down and the sutures look clean. I can tell they itch b/c she tries to scratch them occasionally. She is still living in our master bathroom. Mama, her "attacker," has not laid an egg since Monday. I believe she may be mourning Helga. They came together and haven't been apart since Helga was a chick. That is part of what was so surprising about her attacking Helga to begin with.

I spoke to our state Veterinarian today on the phone (WV) and while she was very kind she couldn't help very much regarding answers as to whether or not Helga's eggs would ever be edible. Her concern was the Baytril, b/c to treat a food animal with it is an off label use. She said the vet that treated Helga at the emergency clinic is the one responsible for advising if or when the eggs will ever be safe to eat. I will have to call her later tonite when the clinic opens and ask. I am afraid she will not have a definitive answer but if she doesn't then I will do some research on my own and if anyone on this forum has any information that would be helpful I would greatly appreciate it.

The state vet did tell me that generally with poultry approved antibiotic it is a 30 day waiting period to eat eggs or meat, she said her concern is that sometimes years later trace amounts are found in livers and other internal organs and since chickens, like people are born with all their eggs these too in theory could absorb trace amounts.

Anyway if anyone has info I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again,
    Autumn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by