Please help! No one ever replies to my threads. :(

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KNelly, Nov 11, 2014.

1. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
     When do brown leghorns start laying eggs? Can't seem to find the answer any where. Mine is 25 weeks old and still no eggs yet. I also have a 27 week EE who hasn't laid yet either. Both have really red faces. What are the signs they will lay soon?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you feel no one responds to your posts - but looking at your thread history it seems every thread you have started has replies - is it that you feel you aren't getting enough feedback or that the feedback you are getting is not what you are looking for?

To your question - it would help if you would take and post a current photo of each bird. This will allow us to see their current condition and assess the closeness to production showing in their appearance.

What are you currently feeding your birds? Are they confined or free ranging? Are you noticing them doing any submissive squatting and/or showing any interest in your nest boxes?

3. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's my EE with the Leghorn. They ate confined. I haven't noticed any squatting yet and I just started them on layer feed.

4. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Most pullets, including brown leghorns start laying from 20-24 weeks (a few a little earlier, an occasional one a little later). The reddening of the combs and wattles is a good sign that they are about to lay. Also, you need to make certain they are not laying already in a hidden nest somewhere instead of the nest boxes. Chicken owners sometimes think that their hens are not laying only to find the eggs later in a hidden nest, sometimes a considerable distance from the coop. Good luck in getting those eggs.

6. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    We just did a deep cleaning for the winter and no eggs any where. So I know for sure they haven't yet...do they look like will? Is that what their faces are supposed to look like before they lay?

7. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My flock of 7 are still not laying and they are 27 weeks. One of my EE's is squatting. Here is one of my EE to compare yours to.
    [​IMG]

8. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks for the pictures! Ours could be twins! The only one I have squatting is my speckled Sussex who is only 15 weeks old. She's not even half as red in the face as the EE or Leghorn. Is squatting the for sure sign of about to lay an egg? Should I keep an eye on my speckled Sussex too? I have no idea the average wait for her breed.

9. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    It's said that it is a sign of eggs coming soon, but my girl has been squatting her butt off for 3 weeks and nothing yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by