PLEASE HELP - Not All of My Eggs Arrived

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by deenamr, Feb 28, 2009.

1. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    So on Thursday I received 18 Australorp eggs from OK that were gathered Sun/Mon. Today I received 7 Welsummer eggs from VA that were gathered Mon/Tues. I should have received 6 more Welsummer eggs that were shipped from WA only 1 state away and they didn't arrive. The eggs from WA would have been gathered Tues/Wed. The postmaster looked at my info and said they should have been here yesterday and must have been sent to the wrong post office. He gave me the direct lines to call other po's in the area but of course no one is answering. So do I hold off until Mon in hopes of my other eggs arriving or do I fire up the incubator today and add the others when they show up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Fire up the incubator and let it run for 24 hrs, to make sure it is ok and let your eggs set overnight after shipping,small end down

3. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    omg look at the cuteie pie puppy in the avatar!!! is that you baby? awe what a cutie!!! sorry I didnt mean to google over it!!!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If you only have one incubator and no hatcher why don't you wait til tomorrow and set what all you have received and then the last of the Welsummers on Monday if they arrive and let them rest for a few hours. My thoughts. That way they would only be one day off from the original hatch date.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I Am new so This is just a what I would do not backed by any big knowlege.
    I would set the rest of them for fear that the others may be permently lost, lost long enough to not be good any more or so damgaged from being sent hether and thether they wont hatch, so I would go with the ones I have and pray that the others come monday and just then ad them and hope for the best.

again I am new and dont know all that much thats just how I would feel i should do it.

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    after leting thelm sit for 24 hours after shiping just tilt them slightly form side to side each day by hand one at a time or place a brik under one side of the carton and move it to the other side each day and i would get the bator ready and set monday. good luck

7. deenamr

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Quote:That is Precious Pie. She was very much the love of my life. A special needs girl with lots of genetic problems. We lost her May last year at almost 8 years old. Every day with her was a blessing as when she was a 1 year old rescue 2 vets said she would only live a few months.

8. papagoose

papagoose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Fire up your bator and stabalize it. Set your eggs and enjoy the show! When the missing eggs arrive, rest the for a day and put them in. If you can't remember the dates when you start setting the eggs, write the date in pencil on the shell lightly and also the expected hatch date.
    I did that with my goose eggs and it worked perfect. I had the bator fired up almost all summer with goslings hatching every few days.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:VA and WA aren't beside each other, they are on opposite coasts which is probably why they are taking longer, unless I am not understanding your post. Did they give you delivery confirmation numbers for the eggs?

10. deenamr

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Quote:VA and WA aren't beside each other, they are on opposite coasts which is probably why they are taking longer, unless I am not understanding your post. Did they give you delivery confirmation numbers for the eggs?

My point being that since I am in Oregon it is crazy that eggs from the other side of the country made it here and eggs from a state away didn't. Oklahoma and Virginia are a long ways away from me and Washington is a few hours away. Yes I did get tracking numbers from everyone and the post office still can't tell me where the eggs from WA are. I put the eggs I have received in the incubator a few minutes ago and will add the others when they hopefully arrive on Monday and cross my fingers for good luck with the differing hatch dates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by