1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help not sure what to do!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cornishchicky, Aug 11, 2013.

1. cornishchicky

cornishchicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    hi there everyone,

I am new to this forum, but have been looking at your posts and your advice to others is amazing so I thought I would join to try and get some advice.

We have one duck egg left in our incubator, all the others died along the way although this one has looked so strong throughout. We reached day 28 on Thursday and still have nothing. Earlier today I thought well maybe it had died and I should candle the egg in there so I haven't moved it. I can see the air sac at the fat end of the egg, no sign of an internal pip. Everything else looks to dark to see anything. I thought it must have died when suddenly the egg starting moving just a little wobble but its still alive!!!! Do I help it? Do I leave it? Just reading other threads about chicks in the wrong orientation etc i would love some advice I feel on tender hooks and am going insane worrying!!!

Thanks in advance!

X

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Angelak

Angelak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    Cornishchicky leave it,if its pipping n rolling it on its way out to the big world.can take up to 24 hrs I think to completely hatch.just make sure humidity is upped to 75-85% so it has a sucessful hatch.Good luck

3. cornishchicky

Aug 11, 2013
    Thanks so much, it doesn't seem to move much and sometimes I worry its my eyes playing tricks but that was definitely a wobble. it's nerve wracking isn't it I feel like an expectant mum pacing the floor! I hope the little chap or lady survives I have grown rather attached! Have kept humidity up to 75% I can't seem to get it any higher. It's a basic model, I have put more jam jars of water in and a wet flannel. 75% seems the best I can do.

X

4. Angelak

Angelak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    Cornishchicky yes it it nerve wrecking....but more frustrating when u want hatches soo bad n end with none to make it,but pays off when u try again and you candel n see growth n movement,then it really gets nerve wrecking...lol..it is amazing to c how lobg it takes one to fully hatch out n how they then get loud chirping as they get more oxygen....good luck,keep me posted...i have 6 muscovy duck eggs in n 12 ckn eggs in too so hopefully I will get alot of newbies this time

5. cornishchicky

Aug 11, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, when are your babies due??? I am definitely going to do this again with a few more next time I think! This is our first attempt, we have tried under one of our hens before but not had anything. I woke up this morning and checked but still nothing, no internal pip and no movement. Should I still leave for today do you think. we are day 32. Am getting worried that by checking a couple of times I have made it more difficult for it to hatch by the humidity fluctuating?

X:/

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Usual hatching advice holds - sit on your hands, do not open the incubator, the lack of proper humidity can cause "shrink wrapping," making it very hard for a baby to free himself from the egg/

7. cornishchicky

Aug 11, 2013
    Firmly sitting in hands well shining a torch through the glass now and again but I won't open! Gosh i feel a nervous wreck! can ducklings go over 32 days? I guess I'm not going to know if its shrink wrapped already :/

Thanks for replying I am driving my husband insane worrying haha

8. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Yes some ducklings can take more than 32 days. Some hatch early and some late so dont worry. When I was incubating for the first time , the same thing was happening to me. When I slept at night the egg was still as it is and when I woke up , there it was.

9. cornishchicky

Aug 11, 2013
    Ah thank you! That's really reassuring, I am going to go out the house to stop myself looking through the window every 5 minutes! Pretty sure obsessing over 'the egg' isn't doing me any good lol!

Will keep updating - thanks again x :D

10. cornishchicky

Aug 11, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I still have nothing! I am just wondering if you think I should give up or give it any longer ?::( I thought I could see a little wobble now and again yesterday but not today, is there anything I can do to see if the duckling is still alive?

Thanks

P.s this would be day 33!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by