Please Help... Now! Goat blood draw

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalgirl2010, Sep 13, 2010.

1. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Well I was planning to go to the vet to get their blood drawn but decided to try myself first I just hope I didnt make a huge mistake. I did the first goat fine she didnt even flinch well the second who is usually the tamest was jumping around and I had no help. I stuck the needle in and though I had the vein so I pulled out on the plunger well I didnt so I go to draw out and the blood starts filling she was flinching around and I * dont know* if I let the syringe plunger down a little or not. Im freaked out right now I have heard of injecting the air in the vein will kill them but how suddenly does it happen? She is walking around and it has been about 10 minutes since I did the draw. Please help me im about to go crazy, I really feel awful right now.

2. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Nodody Knows?[​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Sorry I tried to find more info on how quickly it might cause a problem but couldn't find anything. All I can suggest is trying a vacutainer system in the future to prevent such problems.

4. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Yeah I have been trying to find out as well, Ive googled everything I can think of and nothing has come up with an answer. I guess all I can do know is pray that nothing happens

5. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm sure she's fine. [​IMG] I've done plenty of IVs and had air go into a vein and never had a problem.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  6. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    I agree - I'm sure she's fine. Just keep an eye on her. We all have to learn some how and what better way to get better than by making mistakes!

7. FallFlightFarm

FallFlightFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    If you had injected enough air to cause a problem, you would know by now. Not to mention you would need to inject a LOT of air to kill an animal with an air embolism. Blood draws are always best done with some good help to restrain!!

-Andrea

8. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Thanks everyone! I was just really worried it was my first time and didnt really know exactly what I was doing anyway. I should have waited for help but I wanted to get it in the mail, plus with getting the first ones blood the very first try I thought I could do them both with no problem. She is still acting fine just isnt quite sure if she should come to me now or not [​IMG]. Anyways thanks again everyone

9. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    I was an EMT in a past life. With people, an air embolysm is rare. The conditions have to be just right. Air in the vein alone won't do anything. It has to be the right place and time. If you did do something, you would see results pretty quickly. Any air in the vien will dissapate within an hour or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by