1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help on BIG long term bumblefoot problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by revmarcie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. revmarcie

revmarcie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2016
    After months (and I mean since about Sept), I have been using Tricede Neo on my hen's bumblefoot (tiny spot during so many months that did not change). Finally, She had a fully formed "scab" on the foot. This morning after a 15 minute soak in Epsom Salts I managed to pull out the kernel. I did this with my sterilized tweezers as gently as possible but it was obvious that it still hurt her. There is still a lot of hard on the bump after the kernel was removed. I managed to get as much hard cheesy stuff out around where the kernel had been but it was just too painful for her to endure more (using nail scissors and tweezers). I stopped and stuffed it with Neosporin and Vetericyn. Then I wrapped the foot. The hard "bump is still there and I am sure there is a lot more hard cheesy stuff causing this. Can I wait a few days and then try to go back in to get more? She really couldn't stand any more probing (and neither could I). She is a very healthy girl but, of course, has been hopping on one foot. That scab took MONTHS to form and the hard bump was evident with the tiny black spot (pinhead sized). So, that cheezy stuff must really be built up in there. She will be my pet girl (I'm sure the other hens won't accept her back in the main coop ever again - they are pretty aggressive RRIs). Anyway, just wanted a little input as to going back in. I thought I would wait a day inbetween. Also, I dont' want to soak her again in Epsom Salts that sounds like it would hurt like the devil on an open wound. Thanks, Marcie

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    So far, rest assured you're doing well for your girl. Planning on treating the wound in stages should work and is what I would do. Serious cases of bumble foot often require this.

Epsom salts isn't like sodium chloride. It doesn't sting a raw wound. Epsom salts soaks should be an integral part of the treatment. It will soak out the material you need to get rid of. Use water hot enough to counter infection but not so hot it will burn your hand.

Use telfa pads over the wound, after applying triple antibiotic ointment, bound securely with vet wrap, and the patient can be returned to her normal activities to avoid losing her rank in the flock. Since it's a serious case, daily soaks and re-bandaging is desirable until the wound has healed.

3. revmarcie

revmarcie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2016
    Thank you so much. I feel much more reassured. Thanks for the epsom salts info. I wasn't sure if it would sting a more open wound.

Love and Light and Prosperity to you and yours,
    Marcie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by