Please help! One chick sleeping more and not standing much - worried!

earthgirl78

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
One of my new babies, Isabel, is acting different than the rest of my chicks. They are either 4 or 5 days old now and they are all very lively and love to play and go crazy but Isabel seems like she is sitting/laying a LOT since yesterday afternoon. She sits to eat and keeps moving away from the group and laying down a lot. The rest of them stand most of the time w/some sleeping, she seems to be the opposite. I know she was drinking yesterday but I have not seen her drink this morning, though she did eat while laying in front of the feeder. Her legs appear fine to my untrained eye.

Any thoughts on if this is normal or if there might be something wrong with her. I'm probably just being a paranoid new mommy but ever since last night I feel like something has been wrong.

Thanks for any advice!

-Sara

Last edited:
I had one that was like that. I boiled an egg and mixed some sugar water using brown sugar. Then I pulled her out and hand fed and forced her to drink. It didnt take much She perked up within 10 minutes. Then I replaced the big water with sugar water for the whole day.

I monitored her all day, going in and offering feed from my hand - all chicks came to my hand and she went to the feeder. But at least I saw her eat & drink.

Next day I switched water back to plain.

Little one is now 6 weeks old and a he!!! Good luck

thanks for the reply, will she need grit if she is getting an egg to eat? and how much sugar would you put in a quart jar waterer?

They have had access to water w/the vitamin/electrolyte mix in it all day. She is drinking the water and eating her chick feed as well as pooping - however she is still sleeping way more than the other chicks and just as sluggish as she was last night/this morning. She is still sitting/laying 99% of the time, she will walk for 1-10 seconds and then lays down again, even when she is eating/drinking. I tried giving them an egg, but no one wanted to eat it.

Any other suggestions from anyone? I'm really worried about her, but am not sure if it's normal for a 4 day old chick that just arrived yesterday morning. The others are all acting totally normal, but she's always separated from the group, laying down, it makes me sad.

Thanks for any help/advice anyone can give.

-Sara

So far, so good :) She seems to be improving quite well. Still acting a bit tired/different than the rest, but definitely seeing improvements!! :)

Thanks so much for asking!

-Sara

She is doing so well now and is actually one of the biggest ones!! Thank you so much for checking! :)

One of my others (the now smallest one) has very runny poo though, but is acting completely normal, so I'm hoping it will pass.

I don't want to be such a nervous mommy but I can't help it! :)

Thanks for your concern!!

-Sara

Back
Top Bottom