Please help! One dead D'Uccle, several sneezing including my peacock!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angie3881, Nov 28, 2011.

1. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Bought 8 new chickens at a sale, quarantined them for 30 days. Nothing appeared to be wrong and I noticed no symptoms to worry about. Turned them loose with the rest of my flock including a pair of peafowl. Went to the shed to open it this morning and one of my favorite girls was dead. I didn't notice anything wrong with her the day before. I have several chickens sneezing including my peacock- who just got his second eye feather. Mouths open. Otherwise they seem just fine. I'm just sick!!! What can I do?? Does anyone know what this could be?? I swear I will never buy someone else's birds when I don't know where they came from again!! Ugggggg...

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

if they are sneezing you need to get some tylan 50 and give them 1/4cc each that is the best thing you can use it treats resperatory problems. and yes it works

3. angie3881

I know nothing about this. How do I administer? Where do I get it?

4. KandiandJerry

you can get it at your local tsc or feed store not real expensive like 10.00 a bottle you give it to them under there wing in the meat there

5. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    TSC. I'm not very knowledgeable, yet, but you can give it orally, perhaps on a favorite piece of bread you're sure they'll eat, or injectable. Anyone else?

6. angie3881

Wondering if I have to inject it or feed it? I will get it tomorrow.. just not sure... how much?? I have 32 birds... do I treat them all?? Do I give the full grown peafowl the same amount that I give the tiny banties?? I don't want to lose anymore. [​IMG]

7. angie3881

Anyone??

8. KandiandJerry

I raise bantams also and that is all I use it comes in a bottle and it will last a while. yes I would treat them all just to be safe. however I have never tried to give it orally I always inject mine to assure they are getting it

9. angie3881

How much for the bantams and peacocks since they are so different in size??? How much do you give for yours and maybe I can post in the peafowl forum? What about normal size chickens?

10. KandiandJerry

I give my bantams 1/4 cc each bird the recommended dose for large chickens is 1/2 cc I dont know about the peafowl but if it was me I would use the large chicken dose on him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by