Please Help! One of my runners died

happyf33tz

Hatching
6 Years
May 18, 2013
I owned 2 fawn and white indian runner ducks, but one passed away a few days ago from a cyote attack. The other duck is okay but he is very lonely now and he needs a companion. He is about 3 months old so I needed help on where I could find a 2nd fawn and white runner male duck that isn't under 2 months old. Every place I find only sells ducklings. Is there anywhere that sells adult runners?

Last edited:
I owned 2 fawn and white indian runner ducks, but one passed away a few days ago from a cyote attack. The other duck is okay but he is very lonely now and he needs a companion. He is about 3 months old so I needed help on where I could find a 2nd fawn and white runner male duck that isn't under 2 months old. Every place I find only sells ducklings. Is there anywhere that sells adult runners?
I'm so sorry for your loss, have you tried craigslist or looked here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/34/other-poultry-birds-hatching-eggs
here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing also look up your state on the :where am I where are you" thread and ask there.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am new to this blog stuff but have lots of questions!

My son rescued what we THINK is a black indian runner in early May. She has totally imprinted on all of us and we just love her to death!

When we talk to her she constantly dips her head up and down as if she knows what we are saying! Is that normal? I would love to know what all of her little behaviors mean.

Also, one of her eyes constantly closes slowly so I am taking her to the LSU vet school.

Bubble feet? The bottom of both of her feet look like yellow blisters but they are so symmetrical...is that normal?

I am anxiously waiting for her duck diaper harness to come in from Etsy.com.

Any advice on anything?

She absolutely loves our toy poodle too! Is it ok to leave her inside with my dog all day long when we are at work? She loves to be outside too though.

Hi,

My son rescued what we THINK is a black indian runner in early May. She has totally imprinted on all of us and we just love her to death!

When we talk to her she constantly dips her head up and down as if she knows what we are saying! Is that normal? I would love to know what all of her little behaviors mean.

Also, one of her eyes constantly closes slowly so I am taking her to the LSU vet school.

Bubble feet? The bottom of both of her feet look like yellow blisters but they are so symmetrical...is that normal?

Any advice on anything?

She absolutely loves our toy poodle too! Is it ok to leave her inside with my dog all day long when we are at work? She loves to be outside too though.
welcome-byc.gif
Usually head bobbing is flirting, not sure about the eye so your doing the right thing by having it looked at, is their also matter or drainage in the eye? Bumble foot is usually caused by some kind of trauma to the feet, either a cut or splinter which gets infected and can cause staff. It needs to be treated or can go systemic, I'd have the vets look at her feet too and you can post pics here and we'll try to help. I would not leave a duck and a dog alone together unsupervised, even if best of friends. Just way to easy for play to get out of hand and no one there to stop it. When she is outside make sure she is protected from preds, anything that can climb over a fence usually love a duck dinner. It can be heart breaking. Please posts pics of your duck she sounds adorable. And maybe Amiga since she has Runners can give you a lot more info about this wonderful breed.

Thank you so much for all of your advice!!! Yes I am going to have the vet take a good look at her on Thursday. No discharge coming out of her eye so I don't know.

She will only cracked corn and whatever else she finds in the backyard. I have tried to give her bread, lettuce, etc but she doesn't want it.

She seems to be scratching alot too, dust mites??? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for all of your advice!!! Yes I am going to have the vet take a good look at her on Thursday. No discharge coming out of her eye so I don't know.

She will only cracked corn and whatever else she finds in the backyard. I have tried to give her bread, lettuce, etc but she doesn't want it.

She seems to be scratching alot too, dust mites??? Any suggestions?
Do you have an idea how old she is? she may just be going through a molt. Mine are molting now but they aren't Runners,
and just cracked corn is not a wholesome diet she needs some kind of feed be it duck feed or an all flock feed or chicken grower finisher/ starter depending on her age. she is not getting the right balance of nutrients with just the corn and what she is getting out of the yard. try some dried meal worms as a treat lots of good protein in them, and little green peas freezer dept at grocery, thaw and try some maybe putting them in her water bowl or pool and see if she'll munch on them.

@happyf33tz, sad to read of your loss. Tough. Yes, I can see he would be lonely. For now, can you get a nonbreakable mirror and maybe a stuffed toy for company? Of course your company may help alot, too. Wise to look for a runner who is close in age and size. If you are looking for a drake, I don't think you will have trouble finding one. What part of the world do you live in? Welcome to the Duck Forum.
Hi,

Any advice on anything?

@Remmy, Welcome, also! I have runners and I am completely charmed by them. I also used to have a miniature poodle, who was, when not monitored, death to ducklings. (My cousin opened the door to the brooder room and let my poodle in. Twice.
somad.gif
Years and years ago) There can be special dog-duck relationships. But better safe than sorry. You can set up an arrangement where they can be side by side, with a fence between them indoors. That way, if the poodle's hunting instincts kick in, or he-she forgets that a duck is not as robust as another dog, the duck won't pay the ultimate price.

I agree, get her to a vet and have them look closely at her, bill to tailfeathers. Get a fecal exam done.

My runners are bright, energetic, not skittery as some say they can be. Each duck is unique, so you'll need to learn her ways, and she'll learn yours.

Head bobbing is an interesting behavior. From what I have seen in my flock, it can be out and out flirting. It also has a more platonic tone sometimes, as if to say, you are in my inner circle of friends. It is a positive communication, in any case. I find myself doing duck things, like flapping my "wings" to tell the ducks I feel good and happy, bobbing my head back sometimes, and vocalizing for "everything's okay" and "here comes trouble get over here" and "you are too far from the flock." There's also the magic word "peas!"

Is she laying?

Wow! Thank you for your insight! Everyone has been so helpful! Miss Lydia has me a bit worried about her nutrition, I will be stocking up on her suggestions ASAP!

Ok, love the suggestion for the fence idea!

The head bobbing is definitely a positive thing...It makes me feel so good when she does it, I really think she is talking to us.
yesss.gif

I posted a couple of pictures on my profile but I am not sure how you can get to them. When we got her she wasn't a baby but still had all of her baby feathers. I really wish I knew her exact age.

I will let you know how her vet visit goes. Thanks again!

Miss Lydia is right about the nutrition. I like to keep poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics mix in the frij, and give when the ducks need a boost. And since she is a rescue, and hasn't had (pardon me) optimum nutrition for a while at least, I think some multi-vitamins with extra goodies will be a very good idea. She is developing her internal organs, and that takes alot of vitamins and minerals.

I get Blue Seal Organic layer mix. I add calcium gluconate and water because I have a few girls who lay soft eggs unless I can really load them up on extra calcium.

So, some oyster shell to offer on the side is good, too, as she gets ready to lay. She may not lay this year, or she might. It is up to her.

Thanks! I will be going to the store first thing!

Ok, lay???? like as in eggs??? how does she do that without a boyfriend!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom