PLEASE HELP OPINIONS NEEDED on these breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OK these are going to be bantams but I would like to know what people think about egg laying ability/feed conversion and personality

New Hampshire
    Favorelles
    Ameracauna
    Old English

And which hatchery do you think sells the prettiest and calmest Americaunas(Ideal,Cackle,Sandhill,Murray)?
    And which hatchery for the nicest OEGB?
    THank You

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know that Ideal and McMurray only sell Easter Eggers, not sure about Sandhill and Cackle, but you almost have to go to a breeder to be guaranteed a true Ameraucana. Since Easter Eggers are basically mutts, their laying ability and temperament can vary alot, depending on what went into the mix.
    I have Ameraucanas and have never had any Easter Eggers, although some day I might. My two Blue Ameraucana girls are extremely good layers; one is very friendly and calm, always wanting to be picked up and held, while the other is a bit more skittish and hyper. They are not huge eaters.
    I don't own the other breeds myself.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    :)Thanks SpeckledHen!!! Kris

4. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I have 2 kinds of oegb, brown red and black tail red.
    the brown red are very friendly and calm, the pullet has stopped laying right now, but when she was laying, I'd get 4 -5 eggs a week.
    The BTR oegb hasn't started laying yet but are extremely friendly, and are chatty little things.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My Ameraucana hen is fairly nice. My faverolles rooster is gentle to a fault, and my 2 New Hampshire red hens are the meanest in the coop. Bossy and peck all the other birds feathers out. My ameraucana lays an egg about every other day. The NHRs are laying about every other day as well.

By the way, my speckled sussex hens lay well and are the friendliest and most curious and my 3 partridge rocks avoid me like the plague.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OK then I think the NH are out ! Im getting oegbantams and s Favorelles for sure> Thanks guys;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by