PLEASE HELP!! Orpingtons??? what type are they???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meganben10, Jul 19, 2011.

1. meganben10

meganben10 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    These should be 6 lavender orpingtons but why are they two different colours??? could anyone please help me?? What do you think they are??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the first chickens i have had ususally i have them from 12-16 weeks

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    some are lavander and some are blue, looks like a few roo's also

3. meganben10

meganben10 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    which do you think are roo's we thought they black one were and then decided that they are not lavenders because they look so different

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Lavender splits bred give lavender and black. Half of the blacks will be split with lavender gene. If you breed them and only want lavender then only breed the lavender, the color stays true.

Also it looks like it's time to get your girls outside into a bigger pen. Overcrowded back pecking going on isn't it?

5. meganben10

meganben10 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    they are only 6 weeks old and because the weather here is still quite cold we are keeping them inside as they have not got all their feathers yet. i havent noticed any pecking, what are the signs of this

6. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    Quote:the 2 darker one's in the first pic and the one right at the back in the last pic

7. meganben10

meganben10 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    thanks for your help as i am new to this i need alot of advice thats why i like this forum people are very helpful

8. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    your welcome, you'll also find that the hens will fully feather quicker than roo's aswell

9. meganben10

meganben10 New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    how old do you think these are? we got them off of someone who told us they were 7 weeks old but i think they are much younger than that

10. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    these 2 chocolate orp pullets are 5 weeks old if that's any help

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by