our blind chick won’t eat, looking for ideas

WiII

Hatching
Sep 28, 2021
Last night a chick was unexpectedly born in our coop. When we found him he was extremely injured. It seems him eyes were picked out by another chicken. We think he’s totally blind. He has managed to survive today, but he won’t eat food. We’ve hydrated him with a dropper, even tried to feed him egg yolk. We’ve also put him with other chicks. Nothings worked. I don’t think he can live another day without any food. Is it a good idea to leave him with the other chicks? Is there anything else we can do to feed him? Thank you for your time.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your chick. No, I would not leave him with the other chicks. He needs to be kept warm and protected.

Can you post some photos?

If he's extremely injured, then culling may be necessary.

Will he take in any fluids at all?

Can you tap/peck the food with your hand to see if that encourages him? Or maybe even play some hen tidbitting noises for him when you do it?

I'm not sure I would panic yet. Chicks can go at least a day or longer without eating after hatching because they can live off the reserves of the yolk they have absorbed. That's why they can survive shipping and being in transit for up to two or three days after hatching. Mix up a little warm sugar water and dip his beak in it, see if he will drink that. Once he's hydrated good, then dip his wet beak in the chick starter. That's how I get my shipped chicks to eat. He can't eat until he has drunk water and gotten hydrated. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom