Please help - our young chicken was attacked by dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by armsli, May 3, 2011.

1. armsli

armsli New Egg

May 3, 2011
    Our flock of young chicks (about three months) were attacked by a dog. Four are dead, and two are still missing. The others appear fine, except for one, who has a gaping hole on its side. He appears fine, so I didn't notice at first, but under his wing there is a hole where the skin was ripped away, and I can see its insides. I'm trying to figure out how to treat this. Do I pack the wound to protect the exposed organ? What about antibiotics? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much,
    Lisa

2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    You might try posting in the "emergencies" forum--this is more how to deal with the predator rather than triage the result. I hope she pulls through. I am very sorry for your loss--I lost over half my first batch of half-grown chickens when a dog attacked.

3. BuckWildChickens

BuckWildChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    I had this happen to me once, I flushed it out with iodine, saline solution.. Then held the wound closed and super glued it, taking extream care not to let it loose before the glue dries!! Then apply a small coat of triple antibiotic to the area.. Check it often untill FULLY HEALED!! I hope this helps!! Good luck friend!!, Ps, I would seggregate for a day or 2 to prevent other birds pecking...

4. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I would search high and low for the missing ones. They can hide real good. I just dealt with this two evenings ago. It took me an hour and three trips all over property to find a missing one. There is also the possibility that the dog ate them. My neighbor's dog and a friend's dog once downed 9 chickens within minutes. If you know the owner of the dog or it's your dog watch for any vomiting because if they swallowed them whole sometimes they will upchuck them later. Or you can wait a few days and check their poop too. As for the injured one that is a tough call. You can try and treat it but I think the risk of infection is too high and it will most likely end up dying anyways. That a conscience call you have to make. Hope things go a little better for ya. Sorry this happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by