Please help - out of options - chick has been gasping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadiddle, Nov 27, 2010.

1. chickadiddle

chickadiddle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    since I got it from the hatchery, it's a light brahma. I have tried massaging it's crop, giving it olive oil, vitamins, etc.Nothing seems to help. It can't be impacted, it has been doing this since I got it back in September.
    It eats, poops, sleeps, but just sits around with its' head tucked into itself. Her comb is also very pale, which I thought was a sign of respiratory disease.
    If it were something along the lines of its' crop, I think it would have died by now.
    ANy suggestions, because I am all out.
    Thanks
    Also, gapeworm is out, I think it would be dead by now.
    It is just straining everytime it opens its' mouth.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I personally would give it either some Tylan or Sulmet and see if it helps it clear up. Could be an infection in the lungs.....

3. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    gapeworm should definitely be considered!
    I've lost a chicken to it recently, while i thought it was respiratory.
    She just sat with her head tucked under her wing. and would gasp at all other times.. has been doing it for two weeks.. I've just finished throwing out their eggs since i medicated them for CRD... then realised it was gapeworm.
    I've treated now for it with ivermectin paste.. and all but 1 of the chickens have stopped gasping (i had 15-20 intermittently gasping)
    I'd say, treat for worms... It cant hurt at all to do it..

4. chickadiddle

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:In a coopwith 40 other birds, she is the only one doing it - is it contagious

5. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    well, I have about 40 chickens, and I'd say that it took 2-3 weeks from the time I noticed the first one gasping, til i noticed the rest of them doing it..

6. chickadiddle

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks, she's been doing it since I got her with 25 other chicks since September. I thought gapeworm, but I couldn't find anything in her throat. I am definitely getting the paste, it won't hurt. Is that what you used for the gapeworm, or just worming? What is the dosage?
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by