PLEASE HELP!!!! Overweight ducks and Lameness

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dropdead, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Dropdead

Dropdead New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Hello everyone! I have a huge problem that I posted all over duck pages on FB because it was severe and I needed an answer right away.There are FIVE muscovy ducks that are limping and can't stand on ONE leg. 4 males and 1 female. It's so strange how 5 ducks have the same injury at the same time.
    One of them is a duck that I raised when he was separated from his family. He doesnt live with me, he lives with the other ducks at the pond which are all his friends. I moved away but I visit from time to time.(and yes, he transitioned REALLY well. I still lived by him while he was transitioning. Everyone would always say that him and his sibling were now leaders of the pond since all the other ducks respected them) These ducks mean the world to me!!!!
    Anyway, I called Wildlife and they thought the problem was strange too. People keep giving me different ideas about what it could be, such as vitamin deficiency, lameness, or even someone hurting them intentionally. Nothing makes sense though. Why would FIVE have only ONE hurt leg at the same time and when they're all different ages? And if it was a human, they wouldn't only hit one leg. Someone also suggested snapping turtles. There are no cuts, bumps or anything. Just one hurt leg that they can't stand on. They are doing blood work and the doctor says that they have nerve damage from being overweight. That doesn't make sense either!! I'm sure they have a lot of fat due to people constantly feeding them bread even when I told some that it was bad for ducks. I feed them Cheerios from time to time but it's just a snack and not an everyday thing. I read on different duck pages that it was fine and some people told me that they give their ducks Cheerios too. People are now telling me that it's really bad though. (Not as bad as bread but still bad) Back to the original subject, I was told that they are getting lameness from being overweight. But how?? It doesn't add up that they would all have this at the same time! So I was told they will be doing additional blood work. They originally thought it would be because of bacteria in the pond but the doctor came up with the lameness idea because she found nothing bad except for the layers of fat. Now, one of them told me it's really hard to pinpoint what the real problem could be though since we don't know what kind of issues could be in their environment. They said they will be testing it though.
    HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM? If it really is from them being overweight, HOW CAN I HELP THEM LOSE WEIGHT?? The doctor said that I need to call the city to put up signs to tell people to stop feeding them bread but they will take a long time to heal and might not fly. THIS SCARES ME. I WANT THEM HEALED ASAP!!!! :( And if they have lameness, HOW DO I HEAL THEM OR TAKE THEIR PAIN AWAY??? PLEASE HELP!!! LIKE I SAID, THESE DUCKS MEAN THE WORLD TO ME!!! I JUST WANT THEM TO BE HAPPY AND HEALTHY!!!! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. PLEASE NO FIGHTING LIKE THE PAGES ON FB THOUGH. :( I JUST WANT ANSWERS TO HELP MY BABY AND HIS FRIENDS.

2. Dropdead

Dropdead New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Please help!!! I'm new on here so I don't really know how this website works but I figured more people would see this better on this website and I really need an answer. Has anyone gone through this? Is hearing about this rare for you guys??? Please tell me!!

3. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    If they are your ducks can you take them to your place so they don't get fed bread and unhealthy things anymore? Are their feet completely normal, even on the bottom (bumble foot). Have you given them vitamins?

Have you got pictures of the ducks, preferably clear, big ones and also with their feet and legs showing. If you want to give them a treat, see if they like peas. Those are better than cheerios.

4. Dropdead

Dropdead New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    I only raised one of them that are hurt. We lived in a place where there are a bunch of muscovy ducks. Unfortunately, I can't take him in because I don't live alone. And yes you're right. Peas would be better as snack! I'm told that they can't eat anything at all now though. :(

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Let's see if @Miss Lydia has some ideas - she raises Muscovies.[​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Dropdead I am sorry this is happening to these Muscovy's they have to endure so much living in the wild. I really don't see how you can do much though as long as people keep feeding them things that aren't good for them. They have probably lost their natural foraging ability because of it. This pond is it in a housing development? or at a local park? Peas are a grea option but until they lose weight if this is the cause of their inability to walk on the one leg then I say tough love is in order but how do you get the others to comply? Ducks don't have real strudy legs anyway so being over weight puts stress on them. All have been checked for bumble foot? Please let us know what the vet says about the blood work in the mean time maybe talk to who ever owns the pond about putting up signs about feeding maybe those who care about the ducks would even offer to help pay for them. People for the most part are ignorant about what to feed water fowl so maybe some info printed up would be a good idea. Best would be to find a rescue who would take the ducks and help them.

7. Dropdead

Dropdead New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Thank you so much for the reply!!! The vet thinks that the only problem is that they're obese which doesn't make any sense because they are all different ages and sizes. Everyone I spoke to about this is calling BS on this conclusion. My friends and family all think it's poison! They put one of my boys friends down and they put my boy and his other friends back out in the wild. They said that they'll never be normal again. :( My boy is getting worse!!!! I am trying to make this situation go viral so it could grab the attention of news stations so that the city can see how many people care and actually do something to help the problem. If you're on Facebook, please visit and like the page For the love of Muscovy Ducks. People are sharing my baby boys pictures with the hashtags #Fortheloveofmuscovyducks #Fortheloveofducks #Justiceforchi #Justiceforchiandhisfriends . We need to grab the attention of the media ASAP. My baby boy and his friends are hurting!! We need to stop this immediately! It would be a great help if everyone here also shared and have other people share. PLEASE!!! It would mean the world to me!!!!

8. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I'm sorry these ducks are suffering. It's an unfortunate result of irresponsible people since I doubt those ducks are native to the area. Did you tell the vet you suspect poison is the cause? Did they run any tests? I'd have to agree based on the videos on your Facebook that them being overweight is an odd diagnosis. It could be a mild case of botulism but that is normally deadly within 24 hours.

Do you have a local wildlife rescue you could contact for help?

If you do think the pond in poisoned that is a health and environmental hazard. I'd contact whoever is responsible for the maintenance of the pond and surrounding areas. Did you tell the news people you think it's posion? My local news will report about a person getting a scam call so I'm surprised yours wouldn't want to report this. Or at least look into it. You could try to find someone to test the water and pay for the tests yourself if no one responds.

9. Dropdead

Dropdead New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Yes thank you! Wildlife doesn't want to help. Muscovy ducks are seen as a nuisance in the state of Florida so no one wants to help! :( They don't care if these ducks are suffering or if they die!! We are supposed to hear from the news today or tomorrow. Someone that has connections to them contacted them right away because she thinks this is huge! This is why I'm trying to get other people to share.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are there any Muscovy rescues in Florida? I thought at one time there were.

Can you give these people a call maybe they know of some rescues that can help.

Sawgrass Nature Center & Wildlife Hospital 3000 Sportsplex Dr. Coral Springs, FL 33065 ..... 954-752-WILD (9453)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by