1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Please help Paralyzed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickensrthbest, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Chickensrthbest

Chickensrthbest In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    My chicken Maia has her leg paralyzed and I don't know what it is its not Mericks disease she keeps it underneath her and today is the 9th day of her not walking. She has been staying in the coop with the other chickens none of them caught it and only today one of the chickens started to peck at her face. She eats very litttle and is eating less. We have gave her some gatoraid in her water and everyday I put her in a tub to exercise the leg that she can stand on. She hobbles around on her wings only if there is an emergency.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    First, could you answer a few questions for me so that I can try to make a better diagnosis:

How do you know that it is not Marek's Disease?And how old is she? Is it possible that she got into some moldy food or ate something else rotting?

Is the leg really paralyzed, or does she just not put her weight on it. Try pressing the bottom of her feet with her fingers. If she curls her toes around them, she isn't completely paralyzed. Also move her legs back and forth and compare the paralyzed leg's strength to the normal leg.

Is she isolated? If she isn't already, I would do so. Put her in a cage/crate with a good layer of bedding and a low roost (if any). Maybe try some scrambled eggs, applesauce, or yogurt to entice her into eating. If she doesn't eat or drink on her own, you will have to hand feed her.

I once had a chicken that couldn't walk (for a still unknown reason). He got weaker and weaker, until he wasn't eating or drinking on his own. What I did was mix together some chick feed crumbles and water until it was a very soupy mixture. I would place this mixture in a plastic spoon and dip his beak in it. He would swallow it bit by bit. I also gave him applesauce mixed with probiotics, electrolytes and vitamins. With handfeeding for about a week and a course of antibiotics, he got better.

You could also try tubefeeding him. Just type in "tubefeeding" in the search box on this website, and some links will come up to learning how to tube feed. I myself have never, done it, so good luck!

Keep us upadated!

3. Chickensrthbest

Chickensrthbest In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    I thought that marks disease was quick so I thought that she would be dead already. It has been about a week and a half since she couldn't walk.

Her foots is not moving when I do that. The paralyzed leg is slightly smaller than the normal leg but they are both limp from not walking. She eats like her normal self. She is not isolated from the others now but she was and it only made things worse. The other chickens don't bother her she has no missing feathers or blood on her. I'm treating her with earth stuff because she has some mites they seem to be going away. She is a year and four months. I'm making her a splint around her bad leg to keep it up. I made a model out of a finger splint and she could stand about an inch of the ground but I need to make adjustments. She seems to want to live so, I'm not planning on culling her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by