Please Help, Peachick Sick

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Yoda, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Hi,
    I received two peachicks today shipped express mail. The smallest one was lying on her side very cold and barely moving. I placed the two inside my brooder cause it was 95 degrees. The larger one bounced back, but the smaller one just isn't bouncing for me. Can anyone please give me advice on what to do. I use to raise homing pigeons and whenever they were sick I gave them Terramycin in the drinking water. I did give both birds sugar water when they first arrived but no change at all. The larger one was showing the same signs as the smaller one. The little one at this time has still not opened her eyes and still acts lifeless. She is alive cause she does move. Again, Please help I do not want to lose the first peachick I finally got!
    Thanks Frank

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Sorry to say but I'm not sure they can bounce back from that state, hopefully the birds were guaranteed. Never know what happened to those poor birds during shipping [​IMG] Keep her as comfortable as you can and good luck. -Nathan

3. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Nathan,
    Thank you but she died. Poor thing. I lost one of my first and never got the chance to enjoy her [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. free_ranger

free_ranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    near Monaca, PA
    That's terrible! It's heartbreaking to see a baby like that. I'm very sorry about your little peachick. I bet you'll love the hardy little survivor like crazy.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Before i got my peas i read they get very stressed with shipping so i found some 12 miles from me, got them home and the next day one of the 5 was not doing well, i spent the next 8 hours feeding it sugar/polyvisol/water mixture every 30 minutes with an eye dropper, it finel perked up and is doing great ,so i guess even a short trip like 12 miles can stress them.

Sorry you lost your little one,it sure was a pretty color.

6. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Thank everyone! She will be missed. I will need to move forward cause I still have a male and need to find some playmates for him

7. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    check out amy's peacocks in pa prob about a 3 hr drive from you but she has some great birds.next spring we will be hatch white an sp pea's .

8. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Thanks Jimmy! That I can do!

9. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I love all my birds and HATE to lose one..... even if you only had her one day. Rest in peace, little peachick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by