1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP! Pearl White Leghorn Hen Lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bellatrix, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Bellatrix

Bellatrix New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Hello

I need help, a couple of days ago I notated that my hen was being sluggish and not eating her treats like she usually does and also not laying. I was worried, so the next day I put her in solitary confinement(just in case) and then gave her a bath (it didn't really help) after the bath she ate two egg layer pellets and then proceeded to drink tons of water so I put her in my shower for the night to keep her warm. The next day she didn't eat but still drank a lot of water.

Please Help. Thank You

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock! [​IMG] check her crop to see if it is full or empty. If she is not eating and it is full, that could be the problem. Post again when you find out, some one will be able to help. Oh ya, how does her poop look?

3. Bellatrix

Bellatrix New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Well I am pretty sure her crop is empty. And her poop is about the same but a bit more slimy(probably because I fed her olive oil because I thought is was blocked crop)

Thank you for replying so quickly

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well, just from some quick reading around the site it could be a few different things. An empty crop is flat. Sour crop is squishy, chicken may have bad breath. worms can slow down crop and make a bird not want to eat. another is lice or mites, saps all their energy, makes 'em feel rotten. Coccidiosis is possible too. Solutions, worm with Valbazen, dust for external parasites whether you see any or not. I'm just throwing out ideas here, not a diagnosis. Pics of chicken's face and poop would help. some one with experience like yours will chime in. [​IMG]

5. Bellatrix

Bellatrix New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    I woke up this morning and she was dead[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So very sorry to hear your sad news..

It may have been any number of reasons...sometimes they do not show symptoms until they are very ill...

Keep a watchful eye on the rest of your flock to ensure that they are healthy...

Lice/mites can debilitate a chicken...as can a worm infestation...if you have not recently treated for either of these...it may be a good idea to do so...

Again, so sorry for your loss.

7. Bellatrix

Bellatrix New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Thank you for your support

One of my flock still eats but isn't as active as she used to be [​IMG]

Looking on the bright side I will be getting 7 or 8 more chicks next month :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by