1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP Pecking order - how much dominance is too much

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aussie new mum, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Hi
    My 11 month old and my 12 week old peking bantams seemed to be getting on ok. The older one had lunged a few times at the little one and the little one just ran (she is really fast). For the last 2 days I have been leaving the little one then both of them in the coop so the little one knows this is her home. They had both been in there about 5 hours this afternoon and I went down at dusk to check on them. The little one was making her way up the ramp to the nesting area where they have both been sleeping and there was a lot of loud squarking and cheeping. I checked and it looked like the older one wouldn't let her sleep where she had been. The little one wasn't injured at all but really wanted to come out of the coop. I put her on a perch at the other end of the coop and covered the coop with a towel so it was dark for her. When they are both locked in the coop together the little one stays on the perch which seems to be her safe area while the older one scratches on the ground. Should I still leave them both in together for a few more days and keep an eye on them or let the older one out so the little one is comfortable in the coop? Help????

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Keep a close watch. If you see any agression, then separate them for awhile longer. Are you putting the 11 month old and the 7 week old together?

3. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Hi
    The little one is now 12 weeks old. I took her out of her separate cage in the coop about 3 weeks ago as she was getting too big for it. The only real problem was last night when the older one didn't want the little one to sleep in the same spot so I put the little one at the opposite end of the coop on a perch and have built an attached awning today to keep the light out of that end of the coop (we have an outdoor light that stays on all the time) - last night I put a towel their and she seemed to sleep fine. They have been out and about today and the little one follows the big one around and will run in and take grapes the big one is eating and there is no problem. There have been a few pecks and lunges exchanged but the little one always manages to get out of the way. The first real problem was last night.
    Thanks for your help

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

They may need more time apart, but visible to each other. Keep a close eye out (as I know you do!) [​IMG]

--sounds like my two kids....still trying to work them out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by