1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help - Pekin Bantam Gender ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bicudo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Bicudo

Bicudo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Sydney
    Hi guys,

Sorry for the long post but I feel the need to share the full story with like minded chicken peeps that understand the drama and entertainment they can bring to our lives. Non-chicken owners just don't seem to get it.

My wife and I are new to the chook keeping game and after a bit of research we decided we'd like our backyard flock to be a mix of Silkies and Pekin Bantams. Due to their friendliness and size - we have a smallish yard and wanted some girls we could interact with easily.

We brought two silkies (10 weeks old) from a breeder and two Pekin Bantams (12 weeks old) from a small local nursery. All was going well until around the Pekin's 14 week hatch-day when we heard a strange noise coming from the backyard at around 5am one Saturday morning. Mabel (Black Pekin) was attempting to crow! Now the nursery we got them from had a no rooster guarantee so we made a phone call, put her in a box and took her/him back to the store only to be told (very graciously) she was indeed without a doubt a she. They kept her over night and put her in with a Rooster who did his little love dance. Mean while we did a bit of research and found that some hens do crow if there's no rooster in the flock and that Black Pekin Bantams are particularly susceptible to this.

So, we brought her home and was glad to have her back with us - I know we should love all our chooks equally but I have a bit of a soft spot for Mabel. We warned the neighbors and explained that she was a she and no we were not keeping a Rooster. We also said we'd be trying a number of things to see if we could get her to quieten down.

Then a couple of weeks later Dot (Grey Pekin) attempted a strangled crow too and has been trying to catch up ever since. We put this down to them trying to sort out their pecking order and working out who rules the roost. Now (10 weeks later) we're wondering if we do infact actually have 2 roosters. Their feathers and colours have changed and Mabel is now grabing Betty (White Silkie) by the neck and trying to get on her back.

Any help in identifying the gender of these two girls would be muchly appreciated. We're thinking of taking them both back and getting some Silkies from the breeder to replace them. however, I'm so attached to little Mabel that I can't quite bring myself to do it just yet and keep finding new things to try to quieten her down. It also feels like we'd be giving up on them. I mean you don't take a baby back because it cries too much do you.

Thanks is advance for your help and sorry again for the long post.
    Bicudo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are not girls those are 2 cochin roosters 60,000% sure of your 2 cockerels

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Bicudo

Bicudo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Sydney
    Thanks hdowden. We've been second guessing ourselves on this for the last few weeks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    their saddles and hackles are the dead give away they are long slender and pointed not to mention the crowing you are getting from them and their coloring...sorry [​IMG] they are pretty cockerels though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by