Please help...photos attached :(

WrapChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
After having several near perfect hatches, I've had something go wrong with this one. I have already had to put down 2 chicks (my husband had to).. and I have 2 more that I just don't know what to do with :( Chick #1 was born with a foot problem. He can't put weight on it. After reading several threads on here last night, I tried to do the bandaid on his legs but that didn't work bc he would not move at all. Today he will hop around on one foot but will not put the other down at all :( Chick #2 was born with what looked like a bloody yolk not absorbed. It was pretty large and I could not open the hatcher to get him out bc of lots of pipped eggs. When I could finally get to him, it had gotten much smaller and he is up and around walking, eating etc. The sack looked to be solid not leaking or anything. I then noticed he had a pasty but so I gave him a gentle warm bath on his bottom to clean him up. Later the sac started to bleed (see pic). What should I do??

Someone with experience please help. If there is anything I can do to save these 2 chicks I want to :(

I wouldn't give up on your chick with the bad leg. I had one with splay leg, and the surgical tape worked. You might have made it too short for him to try to walk? As for the other one, I don't know what to tell you, maybe someone more experienced than me can help you with that. I do what I can, until all hope is gone. I had two chicks get stuck hatching last week, one was so weak I thought it was going to die. It just spun in circles instead of walking. I gave it some Sav-A-Chick with electrolytes and vitamins, and slowly he started to pick up. We bought four more chicks to keep the other two company, you would never know that chick was sick at all. Both of those were assisted hatches too!! Don't give up !! Hope someone will help you with that other chick, it may just go on it's own though. Try the Sav-A-Chick, you can get it at tractor supply, maybe it can build up it's strength some. Hope I helped even just a little, good luck to you, I know that helpless feeling when you have sick chicks, hugs.

Dianna

Thank you! I don't want to give up on either one . I'm not sure why it won't let me post the pictures. Going to keep trying.

Thank you! I don't want to give up on either one . I'm not sure why it won't let me post the pictures. Going to keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom