please help!! pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mirandamommy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. mirandamommy

mirandamommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    We moved out chicks (10 weeks) to the coop yesterday. It is two story with a ladder, brilliant design, huh? Except they haven't figured out how to use the ladder. Do I teach them? If so...how do I do that?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Mind just figured it out by themselves. You could put treats up the latter and into the 2nd story. Spaghetti works wonders. [​IMG]
    Terry

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had to put mine up every night for a couple weeks before they had the idea you go up the ladder! lol They would walk down fine just going up took some time to master.

4. mirandamommy

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    Cooked spaghetti?

Last night was their first night in the upstairs coop. When I got home today, only two are in the downstairs run, so...I don't even think they know how to go down.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with using food (cooked spaghetti is great) to entice them up the ladder. You could hang a piece on each rung.

I also agree that it takes some time for them to figure it out. If one starts to 'get it' and use the ladder the others will generally quickly get the idea.

6. mirandamommy

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    I'm wondering if we made the hole too small. Let me try to get a pic of it.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Most people use pop holes that are between 12x12 inches and 14x14 inches depending on the size of their adult birds.

8. mirandamommy

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    Our hole is 12x12. Here are some pics? Input anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Green Hill Farm

Green Hill Farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    I couldn't quite tell from pic but is the ramp steep? Here's a pic of mine the birds use fine of course they are adults.

Beth

[​IMG]

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    After looking at your picture, I'm wondering if they're afraid because there isn't anything between the steps/rungs?? Now, I know adult birds who go up and down ladders with nothing but rungs all the time, I'm just thinking outloud here. Maybe you could attach a board underneath and that would help them try it and get used to it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by